Thursday, April 24, 2014

Equestrian Dream Card - OWH Sketch 221

I turned this weeks sketch challenge 
on its side.

This card was originally monochromatic, 
only brown images stamped on kraft card stock
then mounted on distressed brown card stock.
Once it was completed I wasn't 
too happy with it, the top main image looked too plain.
I stamped and colored another running wild horses image
on vanilla card stock and mounted it to the already completed 
kraft and brown card base.
It still looked "blah" so I decided to color it in - 
and I'm still not happy with it ! Gah! 
I should have left it alone or 
just quit crafting as it was getting late.
Maybe had I added brown mats to each image.....

This card would be a great fit for the 
although many ladies / girls 
would like a card with horses on it ;) 

Equestrian Dream stamp set, Stampin' Up!
various brown inks and colored pencils

Thanks for looking =) 

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Happy Dirtday" Card

I created this card for the 

I decided to make one for a little boy.

I don't know if  it has enough browns on it 
to truly qualify for the challenge though........
brown checkerboard paper background,
distressed kraft paper for dirt,
brown acrylic craft paint for "mud" on the tires,
brown colored pencils on the puppy dog,
brown " happy dirtday" banner.

I Dig You stamp set from Stampin' Up! =
truck, gifts, saying
Loads of Love Accessories stamp set, Stampin' Up! =
puppy image
various classic Stampin' Up! inks/markers
paper punch silver card stock for the 
center of the wheels
homemade cloud stencil and
sponge with Bashful Blue ink for the sky
handcut banners

Thanks for looking =) 

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

9 Surprising Things You Can Recycle


An interesting article that was in our local newspaper and found online. I certainly had no idea about several of the items on this list!


You already know that paper, glass, and plastic goes in the blue bin—but how about pet hair, or old, worn out athletic shoes? Don’t toss these either—they can be recycled. Get the details on nine things you may not have known you could recycle:

1. CFL lightbulbs
Bring your spent compact fluorescent bulbs to the nearest Ikea or Home Depot location; the retailers will take them for free. This is true at our local Home Depot. They also accept rechargeable batteries from power tools. 
2. Video games
Walmart and Sam’s Club locations nationwide now accept old games in exchange for store credit. The games will be refurbished and sold to other gamers. There may be other stores in your area such as Gamestop or smaller locally owned businesses and pawn shops. 
3. Sneakers
Drop your worn-out athletic shoes at a participating Nike or Converse store and they’ll be ground into building materials through the Nike Reuse-a-Shoe program. I wish there were more shoe stores doing this, we have nothing like this in our area........
4. Pet fur
The charity Matter of Trust is seeking clean hair to help soak up oil spills. Hair salons and pet groomers supply much of the hair, but individuals are welcome to donate too! The organizations asks that donors reuse a box and make sure there is no garbage (such as pins, cigarettes, food, or anything sharp or dangerous for volunteers, who are sometimes students) in the package—only fur, fleece and hair. The address to mail the donations to depends on where you live—sign up at for more detailed mailing instructions.
5. Greeting cards
Mail them to St. Jude’s Ranch for Children, where volunteers will use them to craft new cards they can sell to raise money. Or use them to make craft projects ! 
6. Pantyhose
Hosiery brand No Nonsense collects used pantyhose from any brand and has them turned into building materials like running tracks, park benches, vehicle insulation, and playground equipment. Download a mailing labelhere. They are also great for tying up plants in your garden !
7. Wine corks
After enjoying your wine, save the cork! You can ship them to Recork and they’ll be turned into new products, like shoes. Or use them to make craft projects ! 
8. Makeup packaging
When your cosmetic or beauty supply containers are empty, you may be able to recycle them instead of sending them to the landfill. MACOrigins,Kiehl’s, and Aveda have recycling programs—a few of which offer rewards for bringing back multiple packages. 
9. Designer clothes
You can get rid of unwanted clothes at Nordstrom stores—and get something out of it for yourself. Turn in five items of clothing from the list of accepted brands and you’ll get a $40 Nordstrom gift card in return. Your clothes will be sold on to benefit an array of charities.
Look for local thrift shops and charities to donate to if there is not a Nordstrom near you.

Check your local Target store , they may offer recycling of certain items. There are bins at the front service desk of ours that accept not only plastic bags, but clean plastic and glass. I use these regularly as we have no other places to recycle, no curb side recycling where I live.

Best Buy and Walmart (the Walmart near us takes them) take ALL gift cards for recycling. 

For some crafty ideas of repurposing things, click on the REPURPOSED ITEMS label on my sidebar. 

Monday, April 21, 2014

Silk Floral Anniversary Card

Pretty, simple enough to make too, Anniversary card for my parents.

Florals and rhinestone were from a kit (unknown) I bought a long time ago.
Die cut Gable Green card stock leaves and accented with Pear Pizzazz ink using an aquapainter.
The die is from  Garden set by Stampin' Up! that will soon be retired; it has a coordinating stamp set, too.
Sponged Soft Sky ink onto textured Whisper White card stock before adhering the pieces.
Paper pierced around the edges of the top layer of card stock then adhered with dimensionals.
Satin edged organdy white ribbon.

Friday, April 18, 2014