Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Faux Painted/Stamped Cabinet






This is the first piece of furniture I stamped with rubber stamps and acrylic craft paint, 6 years ago. It was a brand new, bright white microwave storage cabinet. I stamped and "distressed" it to make it look "vintage". I needed a storage option for linens in the old farmhouse we bought since there is no linen closet. There is a sort of nook at the end of the staircase that the cabinet fit in perfectly, giving me just enough space to store a set of extra sheets for each of our beds. I decided to stamp roses on the cabinet because I found a pretty set of rose patterned curtains to hang opposite the cabinet.





Supplies:
 acrylic craft paint
 wood furniture sealant
 foam brush
 small artists paint brush if you want to add details
 old toothbrush
 old rags
 scrap of felt on a plastic lid (or foam plate)
 bold image stamp set (I used Stampin' Up! DD Cottage Rose, retired)

Sand the painted cabinet then remove the dust before starting ! I did not take it to bare wood. I wanted to remove some of the super glossy, slick surface paint/varnish off to create some "tooth" for my paint to adhere to.

I brushed paint lightly over the cabinet with a large foam brush, working it with rags to lighten/darken in areas. I brushed or ragged on additional layers in areas. TIP: Glazing medium will "water down" the paint somewhat; keeping it wet a little longer. It is meant to prolong the workability time with the paint. However, on this particular project I think all I did was water down the paint with tap water and work quickly before it dried.

The felt scrap on a plastic lid or foam plate becomes a stamp pad when you add acrylic craft paint to it. Don't get the felt too wet with paint otherwise it will get too goopy on your stamp when you smoosh the stamp into the felt "stamp pad" which will then make your stamped images undefined. You could also brush paint onto the rubber stamp with a foam brush; I prefer making a felt "stamp pad".
TIP: Use bold, solid images such as the Stampin' Up! Definitely Decorative line for this technique; finely detailed stamps do not work well with paint.

Press the rubber stamp into the felt "stamp pad", make sure you have good paint coverage on the stamp then quickly - but carefully!- stamp the image onto your project. You will want to practice first because stamping vertically with slippery paint on a slippery object will tend to make the stamp slide a bit. It may take some practice and patience to get the feel for stamping this way. TIP: Keep old damp rags nearby so you can quickly wipe off any mistakes before the paint dries.

After stamping my images, I "fly specked" with an old toothbrush dipped in paint. Aim the toothbrush at your project then run your thumb across the bristles to flick paint onto the project. TIP: Be sure to do this in an area that doesn't matter if you get paint speckles elsewhere - and wear old clothes because you could accidentally speckle nearby objects as well as yourself!

After all my paint techniques/layers were dry, I sealed the project with a couple layers of wood furniture sealant.

I entered photos of this project (as well as my stamp storage dresser) on scrapbook pages to Stampin' Up! for a Demonstrator contest several years ago. They did not win.

Thanks for looking !

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather, I've had a thoroughly good read thru your blog tonight. Very inspiring. I've just moved into a house thats not very inspiring, but maybe I should give myself a project of decorating something. I really miss having a 'classic' two step rose in the current catalogue. SU! has only been in Australia for a few years so we didn't get any of the older sets. This one you used here is just lovely. I don't think I'll ever give up my Wild Rose' or 'A Rose is a Rose"

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)