Sunday, June 13, 2010

Americana Flag Card


Today was fun, oohing and ahhhing over the new catalog items, sobbing over the loss of some of our favorite colors and items, as well as helping the ladies create projects. I didn't personally complete a project today, I was too busy helping them. I always get flustered when I am helping someone, so many ideas get going through my head, running here and there in the craft dungeon to get what they ask for only to be sidetracked by another idea to share....or as it so happened today, trying to remember exactly which drawer what color of card stock (or a particular stamp set) was now in since I redid my organization system a couple of weeks ago. Since I decided to reorganize the card stock colors in a "rainbow" after having them stored by the Stampin' Up! color families for 10 years, it is going to take a little getting used to.


I will be making a baby onesie card tomorrow to be used as a template at the request of one of the ladies.

In honor of Flag Day, I'm posting this card I created several years ago. This is one of my favorite creations. It was inspired by home decor pieces I saw in a catalog about 10 years ago, created out of old painted and worn wood slats. I thought, "I could make something similar to those out of an old wood pallet perhaps, use it in the yard or on the side of the barn......." I never got around to finding an old pallet to paint, but I did make a miniature version out of popsicle sticks - and a flag card with that idea a couple years later !

I used the retired Stampin' Up background stamp Cracking, Creamy Caramel classic ink, Night of Navy, Baroque Burgundy and Very Vanilla card stock. The Burgundy strips of card stock and Navy rectangle are glued on top of the vanilla. A stylus was useful to create the "slat" look. The star is punched out of sandpaper then painted with acrylic craft paint to resemble rusty tin, mounted on a dimensional (pop dot) . Hemp twine "distressed" with a touch of acrylic paint for the roping.

Thanks for looking !

1 comment:

  1. I love it and would love to duplicate it!
    And not to mention making it in full size with that old pallet you talked about!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)