Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Baby Onesie Card








I know this has been done thousands of times before, but I have never made one. A friend requested that I make a template for her to follow to make it easier for her to create 20 of them. If I made one of these to give, I'd do it slightly differently by adding more detail.

My test sample uses a sheep image from the retired Stampin' Up! set DD Noah stamped with Basic Blank ink. I should have heat embossed the sheep in black. I then colored it in with white dimensional paper paint. The card stock is Bashful Blue from Stampin' Up!

Cut your card stock 4 1/4" x 11". Fold in half to create a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card that folds at the top.

I cut in from the sides 5/8 " and 1 5/8" down from the top fold to create the arms. You could change these measurements, it just happens to be where I cut by "eyeballing". I did not have a pattern to follow so I started cutting up scrap paper - the way I normally make things from scratch. The pattern making started with a piece of 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 scrap paper folded in half to give me the center. By creating the center first, when I did my cutting and punching through both layers the left and right side of the onesie would be the same. I flattened out the folded front piece pattern and saw that this idea worked well. That scrap paper pattern can then be traced (or carefully held up to the card while punching), saving time and ensuring that each of the 20 onesies are the same.

Also by using the scrap paper first, I decided it looked a little weird having both layers punched through on the leg openings. I then tried punching a semicircle through the top layer, trimming the bottom layer diagonally across the leg opening with scissors and liked it much better.

The friend wanted to use a punch as she had seen other people do to create the openings, punching through the top and bottom layers at the same time. I used a 1 3/4" punch to create the neck and leg openings.

After punching and trimming I made a dry emboss template out of scrap lightweight cardboard. Use a stylus/empressor tool/dried up ball point pen to emboss the seams. TIP: Rub waxed paper on the back side of your card stock before running the stylus along the template; the stylus will glide better and not be as likely to tear your cardstock.
I detailed the seams with a Bashful Blue Stampin' Write marker from Stampin' Up!

The bottom flap seam should have been higher up, I wasn't thinking when I made it so now the sample looks "off"to me. For the sample I punched brushed silver card stock with a 1/8" punch, glued the tiny dots on to mimic brads. To create mail friendly faux brads, I'd add a little bit of Crystal Effects from Stampin' Up! to make them shine and have more dimension.

Honestly, if I made one of these cards to give to someone special, I would create layers, sponge ink along the edges and use a real sewing machine along the "seams" as well as use real brads or eyelets, more 3D embellishments, etc. I would also cut it from 12x12 card stock, using that extra inch in length to bring up as a real flap closure at the bottom. This is basically a template, test project for my friend. She can add more to this pattern if she likes, but since she needs to create 20 to send out very soon, I imagine she will like the faster, cheaper, mail friendly faux details.


Thanks for looking !

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)