Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Punched Tin


Many years ago I painted and punched old coffee cans to use as a sort of luminaria. Fill them with water then put them in the freezer. Once they are frozen solid, it is easy to hammer nails through the sides to make designs. You'll want to do this outdoors and keep a heavy old towel underneath to keep it from rolling around as much as well as to catch the melting ice. Paint them if desired, add a candle and you have a luminaria !

The set I made , and no longer have nor do I have photographs of, were red, white , blue and 4th of July themed: the holes I punched were supposed to resemble fireworks.

I used this old idea to make the "vintage" tin pop up card thingy pictured above from an empty gum container. In this case, I stamped an image using StazOn ink first to use as a guide for punching. After it was punched I painted, crackled, antiqued and embellished the container with old buttons.

This particular project was entered in a contest at soshelli.com; it did not win.

Thanks for looking !

2 comments:

  1. This project is a winner to me! I love it..may have to give something like this a try myself. So glad you posted it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I LOVE THIS! Hmmmm- I have a birthday coming up this summer....hint hint hint....

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)