Sunday, June 6, 2010

Stamping On Fabric

Fast, easy way to embellish a plain piece of fabric, no sewing skills required ! I use acrylic craft paint mixed with fabric medium soaked into a scrap piece of felt on an old plastic lid as my stamp pad.

Wash and dry your fabric first, but do not use fabric softener.

Be sure to place a piece of heavy weight cardboard in between the layers of fabric (such as inside a tshirt) to prevent paint/ink from soaking through to the other side accidentally.

Heat set ink or paint stamped images as required by the manufacturer of the product that you use.

I've made several sweatshirts and tshirts, embellished blue jeans, stampcrafted with blue jeans scraps, stamped fabric liners to baskets, made sachets and soft ornaments. Easy way to repurpose old clothing, such as blue jeans to create new crafts for the bazaar I coordinated years ago. Stamping on fabric can also easily hide a small stain, such as on a tshirt.

You could also add buttons, ribbon, etc to the stamped images once dry.






After cutting off the ribbed trim along the cuffs and collar of the above sweatshirt, I used a thin yarn like fiber to stitch along the the edges to hem them. I stamped the snowflakes with with white acrylic craft paint/fabric medium and the retired Stampin' Up set Snowflakes. The letters are PSX clear stamps (small letters)and Making Memories foam stamps (large letters).






Not a decent photograph at all, it is the only one I have of this project, taken at the last minute before loading up for the bazaar. I stamped scrap pieces of lightweight cream colored fabric with a hybrid ink and several of my favorite retired floral stamp sets from Stampin' up! I then placed them into plastic embroidery hoops I found at a yardsale. Inexpensive project to donate to the school holiday bazaar.

Yes, that price tag is $1; I tried to keep all of my projects inexpensive so the kids could afford to buy them. They would come in and shop for family members holiday gifts then we would wrap them. Everything we sold was under $5. It wasn't really a school fundraiser; it was a funday for the kids - and the parents that helped work it. I was involved with that project for 9 years, coordinator of it for 7. I did the bulk of my crafting during those years, loving every minute of it working on projects year round.





I stamped the liner to this clearance ($2 !) basket with hybrid ink and a Stampin' Up! stamp. I then filled it with dollar spot items that I found on clearance for 50c each ! The entire basket was wrapped with cellophane gift wrap, added a large bow and gift tag.



I can't believe I had this old photograph - the project has since been dismantled. I covered a piece of foam core with batting and lightweight fabric that had been stamped with acrylic craft paints/fabric medium. I attached strips of ribbon then inserted it into an old picure frame I painted to create a memo board.
Another cheap, easy project that I made to donate to the school holiday bazaar: old blue jeans pockets stamped and made into note pad holders. I attach magnets to the back of the pocket then slide a coordinating stamped notepad into the pocket with an ink pen. I thought they were great for lockers.


Thanks for looking !

1 comment:

  1. These are all great projects, nice to see photos and ideas of how to use them. My kids are grown now...but I am always on the lookout for fun gift ideas...I really like the spa basket liner with the gifts inside! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)