Monday, July 5, 2010

Americana Basket Skirt and Brownies



I used to go to yard sales regularly looking for gently used children's clothing and items. I rarely go to yard sales now that the kids are grown; besides I don't need any more "stuff" no matter how good of a deal it is. I found this woven basket on one of those yard sale trips many years ago. It originally had a handle on it and I put pinecones, etc in it for a Christmas decoration. One of the kids broke the handle on it playing with it, but I didn't throw it away hoping I'd find another way to use it.

We had been invited to an Independence Day boat party the summer following the breaking of the basket incident. I decided to make brownies to take and thought of that red basket. I was able to get one more use out of it by making a "skirt" for it to dress it up a bit and hide the crack on the side.

I guesstimated the width and length of fabric that I needed, making a really long tube out of it. I then stitch a seam along the top to run elastic through sewed the ends together and had a basket skirt !










Above is a photograph of brownies I made in 2008 for our Independence Day celebration. That particular year the Mississippi River was flooding, turning our front field into a pond. We took advantage of the situation by having some friends and family over to watch fireworks over the newly created pond. We had lots of food on hand, one of the favorites were these patriotic brownies! I used my folk heart paper punch to punch out the stars. I cut strips of paper with my paper trimmer. I placed them on the top of the brownies, lightly sprinkled over them with powdered sugar then carefully removed the paper pieces to reveal a "flag" design. Everyone loved them !
Thanks for looking

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)