Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Snowman Mason Jar



It's sooooooo hot out again with no relief in sight anytime soon. I admit it, summer is my least favorite season. I do like winter - except for the short days. I love snow, always have ! I know, I'm strange. I thought I'd share a few snowmen ideas over the next few days to try to get our minds off of the heat =)




Today I'm posting a mason jar idea I was going to share in a few months. I may as well share it now . It may inspire you to work on something for the holidays, it's not too early to start those holiday gift giving projects !



The idea for this mason jar project came from a similar idea I saw in an old craft book.



Supplies:

clean mason jar and lid

white spray paint

styrofoam ball

snow texture medium

Sculpey for the nose

black fun foam or buttons for the eyes (and mouth if you wish)

black acrylic paint and paintbrush for mouth

ribbon, fabric scraps

your choice of heavy duty adhesive



Spray paint the mason jar lid white, let dry.

Trim a little off of the styrofoam ball to make it sit flat on the mason jar lid.

Cover ball with snow medium, let dry well.

Create a nose from Sculpey, twisted orange pipe cleaners, wood dowel or pencil.

Cut eyes from fun foam or use buttons, beads.

Adhere head to top of lid. Glue on the nose and eyes with a heavy duty adhesive. Wrap neck with ribbon or fabric.

Paint on mouth or adhere pieces of fun foam, buttons, beads.

Create a hat from fabric scrap or old sock if you'd like. I had a hat for this snowman project, but it wasn't on when I took the photo, I'm such a doofus sometimes!





The card was made using Whisper White and Real Red card stock from Stampin' Up!, Real Red classic ink, Cuttlebug embossing folder and ribbon scrap. The greeting is from a retired Stampin' Up! set, I don't remember exactly which one I used.


Other ideas for reusing mason jars were posted previously here.

Thanks for looking !

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)