Monday, September 6, 2010

Stamped Mats


I made sooooooo many of these stamped mat / magnetic photo frames over the years for the elementary school holiday bazaar. The kids liked to use them in their lockers or give them to their parents to be used on refrigerators. I used those advertising magnets that you sometimes receive in junk mail for the backs. Once again, I tend to hoard things I think I can reuse, those types of magnets are one of the many things I saved to find a new purpose for and so glad I did - it saved lots of money so I didn't need to buy magnets for this particular project.


These magnetic frames were cheap and easy and could be made many in so many different themes.
They always sold out, too, at just $1 a piece. The kids really liked them, especially the sports / school mascot themed frames. I can not find any photographs of those (this is the only photo I found of any of the dozens that I've made). I never used to take pictures of my projects, of course my crafting for the school bazaar started well before we had digital cameras. Plus, I never thought of taking photos of my projects.

Anyway, they were made from mat scraps destined for the trash but given to me by a local frame shop. I stamped with images and inks from Stampin' Up!.

I used to work as a framer many years ago so I knew how to cut mats. I bought my own mat cutter so I could make the above magnetic photo frame mats for the bazaar as well as mat and frame pictures to sell.

When I worked in the frame shop, we would make custom mats occasionally by adhering fabric to them. I thought it would be much easier - and cheaper - to make custom mats with stamps and ink.







This is a stamped photo mat I made (could not get a decent picture, it always flashed). I miss the Classic Convertibles and Classic Pickups stamp images that Stampin' Up! used to sell. Actually, I own them so I don't really miss them; I do miss seeing that type of set in the catalog. I really hoped they would keep coming out with new sets like those two. Well, there is the country pickup with a bed full of apples that is new to the current catalog, but personally I won't get that set since it is too limited for my use.







The above stamped mat was made with the DD Daisy stamp set from Stampin' Up! and acrylic craft paints directly onto the mat board. I painted/distressed the ugly yard sale find frame and the double oval mat that I cut out myself. I used a foam brush to apply the paints to the stamp images, using two colors of green on the leaves blended directly onto the rubber stamp. I hand lettered the saying.


There are so many ideas that you could use from card making, scrap booking and general craft painting to transform old photo mats.



Thanks for looking !

2 comments:

  1. I love doing the stamped photo mats too because you can customize perfectly. You have some beautiful samples here, Heather! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are these! I love handmade gifts. They are my very Fav!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)