Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Stretchy Bookmark and Covered Notepads


I receive a crafty newsletter monthly that once in a great while has something that interests me. It usually contains links to crochet/knit projects or projects that don't tickle my fancy, but I won't cancel the newsletter because there may be something useful to me someday. Such was the case yesterday: a link to cute stretchy bookmarks ! And the web site it sent me to was wonderful, too; I will spend some time looking around there once I make it through this week.






Several years ago I made stretchy/no slip bookmarks with elastic from my sewing stash. They weren't anything fancy. The notebook and frame came from the dollar store, they had oriental images on them so I covered them up using card stock, ink and stamp sets, all from Stampin' Up! This particular sample uses Wild Rose, Antique Cracking and a saying from the Mini Mates stamp sets; Garden Green, Baroque Burgundy, Creamy Caramel and Summer Sun classic inks; Very Vanilla and Baroque Burgundy card stock; punches from Stampin' Up!.






The past week I've been going through class leftovers and old samples to try to sell at the festival this coming weekend. I came across 5 of those notebooks and frames so they were sitting on my work table waiting to be redecorated when I saw that no slip/stretchy bookmark idea yesterday (www.maryjanesandgaloshes.com/2010/08/no-slip-bookmark-tutorial.html). So much cuter than mine from 3 years ago !









A length of ribbon, an elastic hair band, a button, thread and needle are all you need. I happened to have a few unused hair bands, too small to use for making a ponytail anyway, that worked perfectly for these little notebooks. I raided my ribbon and buttons stash, paper scraps, ink pens leftover from another class and I was ready to make a cuter version of what I had planned.





I took it another step further and tried to make bows behind the buttons on a few of them.

I used my sewing machine to stitch the ribbon around the hair band. I turned the end of the ribbon under before sewing to create a more finished edge. I ran it along there twice to make sure it was sewn well.

I tacked the button in place with the needle and thread. A couple of the notebooks I gathered the ribbon as I sewed the button in place, a couple others I made a bow to attach under the button. I applied Fray Check to the edge of the ribbon tails to help keep them from fraying.


Each notebook has a little bag of punched tabs (Round Tab Punch from Stampin' Up!) that the purchaser can attach along the edge of the pages if they wish. I left them blank so they could write whatever they wish. One of them could be a Christmas planner, so they could write "Cards Sent/Received", "Wish Lists", Grocery Shopping List, etc. on the tabs. There is also a coordinating ink pen, easy to do with a scrap of decorative paper wrapped tightly and inserted into the barrel.

I decided not to add a stamped tag of some sort to the fronts of them. I did make one for Christmas using the So Many Scallops stamp set, Cherry Cobbler and Garden Green markers, glitter all from Stampin' Up! I decided not to decorate the rest since, for example, someone may like the apple one, but not necessarily be a teacher if I added a teacher related saying. The papers are pretty "busy" anyway, they don't really need anything more.



Thanks for looking !

















4 comments:

  1. Very nice and creative!! Have a peaceful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    Beautiful projects. I need to get my Wild Rose set out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, these are such cool notebooks, it's great that you can finish up some projects using new ideas! I especially like the damask and burgundy, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)