Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving Card - ribbon punch discovery


Someone must have discovered this already and posted it somewhere. I don't take the time to peruse all of the galleries, blogs and such so if someone has already posted this idea, I haven't seen it. Perhaps you haven't, either.




I recently purchased the ribbon border punch from Stampin' Up!

When I was making this Thanksgiving card, I was going to add mulberry paper behind the image (I have so much of that to use still, remember when it was all the rage?!) before layering it onto the card front. Then I decided I'd try something: why not make a punched edge on a mat piece with the ribbon punch. Playing on scrap paper, I soon discovered (duh!) that trying to use the ribbon punch to create a border could make a frame - it would punch the middle out of a square piece of card stock. I am soooooo blonde sometimes.

After seeing that neat little frame and layering the turkey over it, the corners needed something - aha, square brads from my stash ! I think it turned out kind of neat.






Anyway, it was a neat idea I thought I'd share if you haven't seen this.



I started with a 2 7/8" square piece of card stock, centered the punch on each edge and punched. The middle fell out, which didn't matter for this project, but it would make a neat frame for the right size image.













Happy Thanksgiving card supplies:

Happy Thanksgiving stamp set, retired from Stampin' Up!

Dusty Durango textured, Early Espresso, Soft Suede, Naturals card stocks

various classic inks and an aquapainter for watercoloring the image

Ribbon punch

square brads, manufacturer unknown

Early Espresso ink and a sponge












Glitter window snowflake card supplies:

Whisper White, Bashful Blue card stock

acetate run through a Xyron machine

glitter

ribbon punch

snowflake die, Stampin' Up!/Sizzix

rhinestone

mini snowflakes were leftover from a border punch, not sure of the manufacturer



Cut a square in the front of your card for the frame to just fit around. Adhere acetate with adhesive (I used a Xyron) in the window. Sprinkle glitter on the adhesive; attach snowflake and rhinestone. More detailed instructions for the Glitter Window Technique can be found here: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/glitter_window/





Thanks for looking !

4 comments:

  1. Genius Heather!! I will be sharing that tip with my stampin ladies!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tip! I'll be giving it a try. your cards are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,

    Both of these are wonderful projects and what a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to see tools used in new and fun ways, and you didn't disappoint with this one. It makes me think of what I've got in my tool kit, and if I can adapt the way I use it. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)