Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pop Up Chimney Box


Closed, the box dimensions are about 2 1/2" wide by 3 1/2" tall.




This is partially popped up; it will easily extend up more so that
 the opening widens to approximately 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" .
The lid squashes down and closes flat.

Close up of the top portion that folds down, triangle cutout.


I've had written instructions for a pop up box years, but never a pattern. I've not even seen one of these boxes assembled so I wasn't sure how it was supposed to look / work. I don't know where the print out came from since it was given to me along with several others from an old downline of mine 8 years ago.




While cleaning out some files this fall, I came across them and decided to try to figure out this "wow pop up box". About 6 hours later I got it to work ! Granted, it may not be the exact box in the instructions, but this does work and it is certainly a wow box.



Closed, the box dimensions are about 2 1/2" wide by 3 1/2" tall. The lid squashes down and closes flat.




After the working prototype was done (HOURS later!) I thought it would make a really neat chimney gift box.

My final project uses:
Real Red and Whisper White card stock; white Signo gel pen; aquapainter with Riding Hood Red classic ink to darken the edges of the "bricks"; clear drying liquid glue and Dazzling Diamonds glitter for the snow at the top of the chimney; Sticky Strip to hold the box together. I think maybe I'll make a miniature version of my Cuttlebug Santa card as a gift card for this box.



If anyone knows where real diagrams and instructions can be found as well as who created this fun box, please let me know so I can give them the proper credit.



I will type in the instructions as they were given to me (I did edit a few errors) plus a photo of the final working diagram I drew.







Pop Up Box

Materials needed:

8 ½” x 11” sheet of card stock or designer paper

11 x 1 ¼” strip of coordinating card stock

Rubber stamps

Stamp pads

Paper cutter with scoring blade

Scissors

Adhesive



Basic Steps:

1. Score the following lines along the length of the card stock

1 inch, 3 ½ inch, 6 inch and 8 ½ inch.

This should result in 4 equal sections of 2 ½ inches.



2. Score the following line along the width of the card stock:

1 ¼ inch, 2 ½ inch, 3 ¾ inch and 7 ¼ inch.



Tip: Depending on the stamp images you are using, you may want to stamp now, but it is generally easier after you do your folding and prior to cutting.



3. Fold all lines.

Note: The 1 ¼ and 2 ½ lines are valley folds, the rest are mountain folds. (The 1 ¼ piece is where you glue the coordinating strip later on)



4. Using scissors cut out triangles as indicated on pattern to form the pop-up portion of the box. (These triangles need to be cut at 1 ¼ from the center of each 2 ½ inch sections out to the fold lines so the box closes properly.)



5. Cut from the bottom edge of card stock to 7 ¼ line on the 1, 3 ½, 6. and 8 ½ score lines to form bottom flaps of box.



6. Remove side flap areas as shown on pattern.



7. Fold along the 1, 3 ½, 6 and 8 ½ lines and glue flap to form the main body of the box.



8. Fold and glue bottom flaps of box.



9. Stamp coordinating card stock strip and score at just less than 1 inch, 3 ½ inch, 6 inch and 8 ½ inches. Glue strip to the top of the box to give decoration and help the pop-up hold its shape.



This is a fun box that can wow everyone because the flap pulls or pops up and then pushes down over the box to make the lid.



Here is the diagram:




Happy Holidays and thanks for looking =)

4 comments:

  1. soooo cute! i make homemade toffee and this might be the perfect thing to put it in to give out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat box! I'm always looking for new templates for containers and 3-D projects and this one is super cute. Thanks for sharing the "how-to" info as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! so cute! My granddaughter would be in awe of your box! Thanks for sharing, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    Wow! This is such a wonderful box. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)