Monday, December 6, 2010

Popsicle Stick Sled Ornament






There are sooooo many uses for reusing popsicle sticks ! This idea of creating a sled ornament has been around for a long time, I've seen numerous versions of it. The first one I ever saw was the ornament that an aunt made and gave to each of the nieces and nephews nearly 30 years ago.








Supplies for this project:

clean popsicle sticks (you can buy them new in craft stores)

heavy duty scissors or a saw to cut the popsicle sticks

hot glue gun or heavy duty all purpose crafters glue

acrylic craft paints

sealant/varnish if you wish to seal your painted sled

paintbrushes

paint, permanent markers, rubber stamps, stickers, beads, whatever embellishments you may want to add to decorate your sled

ribbon, twine, wire, etc to hang the ornament


My sample uses the Serene Snowflakes and Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp sets from Stampin' Up!
I stamped the images with the craft paint.





Cut all of the sticks down to the desired size and shape, sand the rough edges. TIP: Grip the stick tightly just below where you want to make the cut to stabilize the stick and help prevent it from cracking. The sticks will crack sometimes when cutting with scissors (I had plenty of sticks so I cut another if it cracked too badly) so it would be better to cut them with a small saw.

Paint each stick, let dry thoroughly before gluing into the sled shape.

Stamp, paint, decoupage, sand, etc as desired to decorate your sled. TIP: I poured a small amount of paint onto a scrap of felt to make a stamp pad to stamp my snowflake images with paint onto my sled.

Seal if desired.

Add a hanger.



This is one simple idea for reusing popsicle sticks. There are lots of crafty, fun things you can do with them.



Thanks for looking =)

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    These popsicle stick ornaments are so adorable. I just love your sleighs!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)