Friday, March 25, 2011

RIP Cassie Dog


Such a sad day here: I made the decision to have my 13 year old dog, Cassie, euthanized. She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in December. In the end her kidneys went as well. It was a difficult decision to make, especially when she wagged her tail this morning, but I know it was the right thing to do.

How fitting that it should snow today, she loved the snow =)






She had been chewing on my daisies. There is one in her mouth, the petals barely sticking out of her mouth making it look as if she has buck teeth !






She loved to roll in the grass (or snow!).
Her fur would get so staticy when brushed that once she rolled in the
grass it was nearly impossible to get it all out.




Sitting pretty near the fire bush





Love it, she would get snowballs in her long fur when playing in the snow =)





tee hee






                                      2008 looking over the field that was now a flooded lake















                                                         Ringo kitty trying to love on her






Her best friend, mom and dads dog Pretty Girl.
Somehow she knew when Cassie passed, soooooo sad......













If it should be that I grow frail and weak


And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.





Author Unknown









12 comments:

  1. Heather, my heart goes out to you. We had to do the same thing to our beloved dog Daisy. So hard to do but we can't let our animals suffer. Our pets are part of our families. Hope the next few weeks won't be too hard for you. Go to the animal shelter when you are ready for a new furry friend to come into your life. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your poor Cassie. Such a loss. Hope she's at peace. I loved her pictures. What a pretty dog! Thanks for sharing and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather, I am so sorry to read your sad news. Hold close the fun memories and the delightful photos of your dear Cassie. {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so hard, what a good girl she was, and a faithful companion. 13 years is a pretty good run, but it's never long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, I'm so sorry about the loss of your sweet dog. I tried to leave a message yesterday but it didn't make it to your blog. We had to put down our dog several years ago and it was the hardest thing to do but we couldn't watch her suffer any more. The animal shelters are full of wonderful furry friends that would love to join your family when you are ready. Know that you are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    I am so sorry to hear about Cassie. This is an extremely difficult thing to have to do. My heart goes out to you. What beautiful pictures you have to remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in my heart as I know your pain. Remember you did the best thing for Cassie and she is grateful. Always remember that wagging tail. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, I love the pictures you posted of Cassie. Dogs certainly get to be members of the family. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, extending my sympathy to you and your family for your loss. That poem is pretty special, and glad your pet didn't have long to suffer. So glad you have all those wonderful pictures to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind words, they mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Heather! I am SO sorry to hear about your fur baby Cassie! I had no idea what had happened when I'd asked you about the template for the Wiimote card... I feel awful, I would have said something then! I have a fur baby myself, Sadie and I know it would be so hard if I lost her. I hope you have been surrounded by friends and family who love you and can find comfort in knowing that Cassie is happy and at peace now. Big Hugs to you during this hard time!

    Hugs,
    Christine aka The Stampin' Ninja

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to read about your loss. Pets hold a special place in our hearts (something I'm only just discovering for myself). Loved the pics and the poem.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)