Monday, April 18, 2011

Cassie's Memory Box /Urn SPRING






After my dog Cassie passed away last month, I chose to have her cremated with her ashes returned. She came back home last week in a plain white plastic box. I knew all along I wanted to make a special sort of memory box/urn for her ashes, but I had to wait until she came back home to see what size I needed. It just so happened I had a paper mache box that was the right size.


I had digital photos printed then chose a few favorites to use on my project.

I decided to make four distinct sides with seasonal images so I can rotate the box throughout the year. 


I knew the exact photo that I wanted to use for the Spring side, but I had to find it in my boxes of photos. I admit it, I have hundreds of envelopes of photos sitting in dozens of boxes . . . . . . I wanted to start going through the photos and putting them into albums as well as scanning the negatives after Mulligans passing last fall, but I never got around to it.  Just last week I finally ordered a negative scanner, now maybe I will start that HUGE task.

Thankfully I labeled most of the photo/negative envelopes by date and noted some of the events on them when they were developed then put them in boxes by date.
I will post each side of the box in a separate post.

The top is still unfinished, I am trying to decide exactly what I want to do with it (knob, no knob, what type of knob if so, etc)

All supplies used in this project are from Stampin' Up!, some of which are now retired.


This photo was taken shortly after I brought Cassie home in 1998. She had been playing in the daisy bed. When she flopped down with the flowers in the background, I thought it would make a great photo. At the time I snapped it, I didn't realize she had two petals sticking out of her mouth. Once I looked through the developed photographs, I noticed it - looks like she has buck teeth ! One of my all time favorite photos of her - and one of the few I have of her as a puppy.











This is a tag for journaling that slides out 





Card stock:
Early Espresso (I wish I had textured)
Whisper White
Summer Sun

Flower Daisies #2 die
Scallop Trim punch
Designer Label punch
Basic Pearls
Summer Sun corduroy buttons
Crushed Curry polka dot grosgrain ribbon
sticky strip
glue dots
DD Daisy stamp set
Certainly Celery ink
Wild Wasabi ink
small piece of a page protector that I cut then wrapped around the photo to help protect it

The ribbon around the top was stamped with Whisper White craft ink and the paw print stamp from the Bow Wow stamp set. Set aside to dry well before handling. 






Punch the edge of the Early Espresso card stock with the scallop trim punch. Attach tiny flat back pearls to each "dot" between the scallops.

Wrap the photo in a piece of page protector to help protect it before mounting to a piece of Summer Sun card stock. Use a distressing tool to rough up the edges of the Summer Sun card stock. Mount to the Early Espresso card stock, but be sure to leave a gap along one edge to slide the tag underneath.

Die cut several white daisies, attach a Summer Sun corduroy button through the centers. Lightly curl the petals of the daisies for extra dimension.

Stamp a leaf image from the DD Daisy stamp set, cut out and glue behind the daisy. Attach a loop of Crushed Curry polka dot grosgrain ribbon behind the daisy that will go on the tag. I punched a hole through the ribbon with a Crop-a-dile then ran the brad through the ribbon.

Adhere the completed daisies to the project with glue dots.

Cut a strip of Whisper White card stock just wide enough to fit through the Designer Label punch. Run one end up through the back, leaving the other end in the punch so you can punch a decorative top to the label. 


This project was submitted to the soshelli.com contest; it did not win.


Thank your for taking the time to look and leave comments, they always make my day =)


Come back tomorrow to see the Summer side of the box. 

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet and beautiful way to always remember your loyal little friend. We are dog lovers, so we can certainly relate to the hole that's left when they are gone. Love the tucked-in tag journal. What a neat idea. Could be used on a scrapbook page or card. I feel a CASE coming on!!! Thanks for sharing Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie's box came out just perfect. I love the picture and story of her in the bed of daisies. A beautiful spring picture indeed. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful picture - one that would make me smile everytime I passed it. Thanks for sharing the beautiful box you made for Cassie.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)