Friday, April 22, 2011

"Sugar Egg" Easel Easter Card




A little time consuming depending on the detail you want to put into this card. It can been made easily using different products and not as much detail. I'll post another version tomorrow.

I started by folding a piece of scratch paper in half then drawing a half of an egg shape on it. I do this often when I want to make a symmetrical shape and do not have a pattern. I need to make the time one of these days to learn how to use my electronic cutting machine and software to make my own patterns. 









Anyway, cut out the egg shape from the scratch paper then trace onto your card stock. Two pieces are just flat 4.25" x 5.5" that you trace the egg onto. They make the textured front piece and the "inside" of the egg. Only cut the middle out of one piece (this will be the front, sugared part). 





Cut another piece 4.25" x 11" , fold in half to create a 4.25" x 5.5" card. Lay the egg pattern on this again, being sure to leave a bit of an over hang at the top portion so that when you cut it out, you will still have a card that folds.









Score one side (I scored mine at about 2.5" from the bottom) then fold where you want it to fold to create the easel.








Decorate the front textured and glittered piece as you like.


I ran my egg piece through the Big Shot with the Wallpaper Textured Impressions embossing folder. After texturizing, I brushed on a layer of clear drying white liquid glue immediately followed by glitter. If you have a Xyron machine, you could probably run the egg shape through the Xyron then the Big Shot/embossing folder, remove the protective sheet then add glitter. Set aside to dry.

You cold use fancy glitter paper and avoid the mess of making your own glitter paper altogether.

While the glitter is drying, make all of the die cut, punched or stamped and cut out items you want to add to the egg. Add details with markers, water coloring, embellishments and such before adhering all of the pieces.
Stamp the plain flat egg shape piece with your greeting - or add more images, die cuts, etc to create a scene "inside" the egg. I chose a simple greeting for this card. I'll sign the bottom half of the opened card. but you could stamp the greeting on that bottom half.

Attach the textured/glittered piece to the front of the stamped egg piece with dimensionals.

Glue on all of the embellishments and allow plenty of time to dry (depending on the adhesive you use) before handling.

Attach to the folded egg card by gluing the bottom half of the decorated egg to the bottom half of the folded card.

Create something inside the card using ribbon, card stock scraps, more die cuts, etc to help hold the card up when opened. I used a couple layers of card stock mounted with dimensionals.


Supplies I used for my project:
Stampin' Up! items, some of which are no longer available:
Whisper White card stock
Daffodil Delight card stock, ink, ribbon
Lovely Lilac card stock and ink
Green Galore card stock and ink
Textured Impressions embossing folder Vintage Wallpaper
Ribbon punch
Flower Trio punch
Boho Blossoms punch
Little Leaves die
Aquapainter
Rhinestones colored with permanent markers

Modge Podge glue
Coarse glitter Martha Stewart (I thought it looked more sugar like, not quite as sparkly as the Dazzling Diamonds glitter from Stampin' Up!)

I added water color details to each flower and the leaves with the aquapainter and ink. 
Smooshing each flower in the palm of my hand with an Empressor stylus tool in the center of the flower gave them some dimension. The rhinestones were colored with permanent markers before adhering them to the flower centers.

Thank you for looking and Happy Easter ! 



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detailed instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally awesome!!! Love how you showed us how to make one too!! I will be featuring this card on My Crafty Picks #13 on 4-24-11. If you wish to decline please email me a trbauer@insightbb.com

    Take care
    www.mycraftyworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tiffany - what an honor !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. Love all the little details like the shaped flowers, sparkle, pretty bow and the shaped card. Something very elegant and special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your card on Tiffany's web site and loved it on two different levels. 1st was the pure beauty of the card,such detail! and second was it reminded me of the time my Mom & I tried to make sugar eggs. Ours did not turn out nearly as pretty as yours...I'm hoping to recreate yours and give it to her!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)