Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Negatives Notebook - My Digital Studio Hybrid Project








I created something yesterday ! I mentioned in my previous post that I decided to start scanning 35mm negatives and was using a notepad to make note of each envelope of negatives, what was on them. Well, I decided I may as well use some of my supplies that don't seem to get used much anymore to make a fun notebook !


I recovered a hard bound, stitched composition notebook (the kind you get for around $1 that have a sort of black and white marble look cover; not spiral bound) with decorative papers and a piece I created digitally.

The "negatives" word strip was made with My Digital Studio from Stampin' Up!. I could have taken the time to make one out of punches and stamps with traditional supplies, but decided it would be easier to get all of the little punches along the edge straight digitally.

Here is how I made my film / negative strip in My Digital Studio:

My project started out as an 8.5 x 11 scrapbook page. I could have easily made the entire cover using My Digital Studio, but I didn't want to waste a lot of colored ink, especially when I have so many patterned papers on hand.

I used a square punch, elongated it to 7", filled it with black.

I used 9 square punches for the frames. I "punched" one square and reduced it in size, color filled with a color that I picked off of the HSB tab of the Color Fill option. I then copied it 8 more times so they would all be the same size and color.

Align the squares then fill with stamped Schoolbook Serif alphabet letters in Basic Black ink and reduced in size . You could use Text instead if you have a font on your computer that you prefer.

The bottom row of tiny punches was a bit tricky. I started with a square punch reduced in size (don't make them teeny tiny! mine were maybe about 3/4" to start with). I copied it and pasted 8 times or so. These were then aligned and grouped then reduced them to the teeny tiny squares. This makes it easier to copy and move where you want them. Copy that group of teeny tiny squares and paste a few more times to fill along the bottom edge of the film / negative strip.

Group this entire line of miniature squares you created along the bottom edge, copy then paste at the top edge of the strip.

It does take a little bit of work and patience, but in the end I think it would have been less than if I had tried to use teeny tiny cut up pieces of card stock and glued them onto a strip ! Honestly, I don't have the right size punches I needed for this project anyway, so it was easier to create the size I needed in My Digital Studio.

Once I had my word strip completed, I exported it to a .jpg file, printed, trimmed and mounted it on a piece of black card stock.

The paper is a piece of unknown double sided I had in my stash. I trimmed it to fit, cut off the top and flipped it over so the coordinating opposite side would show. All pieces are adhered with heavy duty double sided adhesive tape. Apply the word strip over the joint. Open up the book , laying the cover face down on a safe surface for cutting. Use a hobby knife to trim off extra paper along the edge and around the corners if needed.


Thanks for looking =) 

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to make your job a little more fun! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)