Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pretty Girl - Rest In Peace







It was a sad day today - my parents had to put their beloved German Shephard mix Pretty Girl to sleep today.


I went with my mom to the vets office. After having gone through this with my dog Cassie just two months ago didn't make it any easier. I know it was the right thing to do, but still so terribly sad and difficult.

She showed up at their house several years ago; she was approximately two years old at the time. She was quite skittish and skinny, hanging around the house just close enough to keep an eye on things, but never close enough to be petted. She was eventually won over with enough treats and realized they were good people, this would make a great new home.

Over the years my dog Cassie figured out where Grandma and Grandpa lived, visiting them several times a week. She'd walk up the half mile hill to their house all by herself and Pretty Girl would know as soon as she showed up. They'd immediately take off to roam the woods together and sniffing for new things all around their property.

They learned to share supper, treats, favorite sleeping spots and even the attention with each other when Cassie visited.

Once Cassie passed, Pretty Girl knew it and was out of sorts for a while. Then all of a sudden she started getting sick. Almost exactly two months to the day that Cassie passed mom took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with cancer. Here we are 10 days later............... sniffle..............

I offered to make a memory box for her remains as I did for Cassie, but mom said dad didn't really want to have her returned, it is just too difficult. They want memories of her in their hearts.

I felt bad in a way for taking the camera this afternoon as we spent our final hour with her, but I am glad that I did. I managed to get a couple of decent photos of her. She was always difficult to photograph because Cassie was there when I was, the two of them were roaming about or whatever, never holding still long enough in a good enough position or in good lighting. I will make a small memory book of the few photos I have of her for them.

I regret not having enough photos of the two best dog friends together.........

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you had to do this... We went through this w/ our 1st dog about 3 years ago. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)