Friday, August 19, 2011

Peel and Stick Floor project

I had enough of the old vinyl flooring peeling up at the top of the basement stairs and decided I would replace it with peel and stick vinyl flooring squares. I had no idea that although all of the edges of the old vinyl floor were peeling up, the middle of the vinyl was still stuck down - really stuck down well - to a thick plywood floor. What a nightmare, lots of hard work getting it up as best I could. After hours of scraping without much progress, I decided to cover it over with a piece of thin subfloor. That turned out to be tricky, too since I chose to use liquid nails rather than screwing the subfloor down. So much for thinking a small 33" x 40" area would stick quickly and without much problem !

I finally finished the project off today. The cats will be happy that they can eat there again, they were out of sorts from their bowls being moved into the hall:




I've never done a project like this before and although applying the tiles wasn't too difficult, the removal of the old flooring was tedious so I do not see myself replacing the vinyl floors in the bathroom ! Thankfully they are still in good shape.

2 comments:

  1. It looks nice! I had to remove the glued-down vinyl tile in the trailer, and couldn't get it all up. I ended up putting carpet over it! What a terrible job, and a mess! But if the results look good, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a project and it looks awesome!
    Wish I could see it in person....

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)