Monday, August 22, 2011

Trimmed Out - peel and stick floor project complete




I used a miter box for a home improvement project for the first time yesterday. All by myself ! It was a bit tricky trying to figure out how to cut the innies vs. the outies angles at first. Thankfully I have quarter round down in the kitchen, so I referred to how those pieces looked to figure out how to make the new pieces fit properly. I knew they had to be 45 degree cuts (I do remember something from schooling way back when ! ).

My mom and dad had some nice oak quarter round they saved from their kitchen remodel that they gave me to use. A little cleaning up, measured and cut and it works nearly perfectly at the top of the basement stair case. I say nearly perfectly because this old house is so un-square, nothing is right. It needed a little creative attaching and a bit of fiddling to work well enough. I kept saying, who is really going to look closely and notice it not being perfect, it is only the top of the stairs. Whoever buys the house next can fix it right themselves ! It never had quarter round , or any sort of baseboard trim for that matter, since the house was bought 12 years ago. Which in part is why the  old vinyl floor was peeling up around all of the edges, why I decided I had had enough and took on this project.

I think it turned out pretty good for not having done anything like this before ! Now I suppose I ought to go back in with a marker and wood filler to really make it look finished........

Thanks for looking =)

1 comment:

  1. Fixing doors, replacing floors! You are one busy lady! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)