Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Santa Face Card in My Digital Studio

~Taking a break from making/posting cards to send into Operation Write Home~

                     In 2008 I created this Santa Face card using paper crafting supplies 

I shared it at Splitcoaststampers.com before I made a blog

I also shared it at Stampin' Connection.

 I've since seen many versions posted to the internet
and appreciate the recognition that some have given my project as the inspiration!
Now I am taking inspiration from some that I have seen to add the eyebrows and holly sprig to his hat on this digital version. I used the My Digital Studio program from Stampin' Up!









The swirly paper I created by using the swirl stitching stamp from the My Sweet Pea digital download.
I reduced the size of the image, changed the color to Very Vanilla, used a black drop shadow set at 65% opacity and 3 blur. I then copied and rotated each swirl to cover the Whisper White background paper. I think I should have maybe made the swirls different sizes...

Once I had a custom swirly background paper made, I saved the image as a jpg file. I then brought that file back into the My Digital Studio software program folder:  Components, Backgrounds, Designer Papers, Custom (folder I created to add my custom made backgrounds and photos to).
By doing this, I was able to easily use the same paper to fill the Two Step Bird punch wing and Word Window punch (reduced in size) that I used for his moustache and eyebrows.

His hat is a custom sized square punch filled with Real Red stripe designer paper.
The hat brim is an oval punch filled with Whisper White, drop shadow added to the top.
His face is an oval filled with Textured Pink Pirouette and added the drop shadow to the top. 
Cheeks and eyes were created with various size circle punches.
The nose is an oval punch filled with tTxtured Pretty In Pink.
The holly leaves are an embellishment from the Christmas Jingle designer kit. I covered up the holly berries with white circle punches then added a Real Red corduroy button over them for the holly berry. This could easily become a hybrid project by adding a real button and punched nose on dimensionals !












I also tried to make a pattern to print out for those that wish to make it out of paper. My original post had a hand drawn sketch I photographed and posted for a pattern. I honestly just free hand cut my Santa when I made him a few years ago, no pattern.

Anyway, as far as the patterns go, I am not certain how they will print out for you. I do have them sized to be 8.5" x 11" , but they won't print side to side on my printer, it keeps putting the image in the center of the paper. BE SURE TO TRY IT ON A SCRAP PIECE OF PAPER FIRST ! I have been unable to print on the entire page on my old printer and computer. It just will not print out a "borderless" image no matter what I have tried. So be forwarned, it may or may not work for you as well.

The idea was for you to be able to print out the page that had 4 images on it, cut it into quarters then run each quarter sheet through the embossing folder/die cut machine. Be sure to have the printed side placed face down on the raised side of the embossing folder. Once it is embossed, you cut the pieces out. You will have a beard, moustache and hat brim, the remaining pieces are scrap. You can see additional steps on the original post at
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2010/09/cuttlebug-santa-card.html

I do hope it works for anyone that had hoped to be able to print it out, please accept my apologies if it does not work properly. I am not all that tech savvy....










Thanks for looking  =)



Now it is back to sorting and packing my box of cards for Operation Write Home. It sure feels like I've made many more these past 6 weeks or so than I see laid out here (they are in stacks, not sure of the exact count).

2 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!! I'm still learning my way around MDS, but this is so wonderful! I love that you shared how you made the 'hair' areas. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have figured that out!TFS!
    Look at all of those wonderful cards too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather for taking the time to put this all together for us. Can't wait to try the MDS version. Then maybe move on to the paper version.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)