Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jar of Nothing




The Nothing Jar

Did you say nothing?
When you were asked what you wanted for Christmas
(or your Birthday, Anniversary, etc)
Don't you remember saying "NOTHING." ?
Well, this time someone heard you,
searched high and low
and found the perfect gift for you ! 






I saw this poem / gag gift idea online somewhere a year or two ago and saved the poem for "some day".
I think it was posted at a recipe site of all places!  It had a very simple, plain tag printed out on sticker paper and adhered to the jar. 
I decided to finally put it to use this year and made a version using Stampin' Up! products / My Digital Studio.

The idea is to give the recipient an empty jar with absolutely nothing in it. If you really want to give the person "something" and they truly want "nothing", perhaps make a donation to a worthy cause in their name or offer your time and talents (wash their car, walk their dog, etc). 






punches to create the embellishment:
punch out an oval, fold in half lengthwise then trim the edges with scissors to make the scallops
unfold and add details with marker, ink pad and aquapainter
glitter glue on the 1/4" circle punch berries



super thin sliver of card stock used as "thread" for the corduroy button




This is a great project for repurposing items, too !
  • reuse and old jar
  • ribbons from past gifts 
  • a button from an old shirt or jacket
  • gift wrap, old greeting cards or magazines for the decorative paper background


This project can be as plain and simple as you want or over the top decorated, creating a piece of home decor / art worthy of display year round. 





My project was created using supplies from Stampin' Up! 
and the My Digital Studio program from Stampin' Up!


Card stock:
  Very Vanilla
  Crumb Cake
  Always Artichoke
  Cherry Cobbler
Always Artichoke classic ink and marker
Wide Striped Grosgrain ribbon, retired
Corduroy Button, retired
Small oval punch 
1/4" circle punch 
Scallop edge punch
Red glitter glue


I designed the printed paper piece with My Digital Studio, printed it out then mounted it to several pieces of card stock. The back ground designer paper image is found in the  "Deck The Halls" Designer Kit add on, paper 1. 

I layered the textured background stamp over it, reduced the size and opacity, the color was changed to Early Espresso.

I used a square digital punch, elongated it and resized. I then added a Cherry Cobbler mat and drop shadow in Early Espresso  (100% opacity, full blur, centered). 

Insert a text box, resize to fit the square punch, type in the poem using Early Espresso "ink". 

The title is another text box with Very Vanilla type, drop shadowed with Basic Black. 



Thanks for looking  and Happy Holidays =) 

2 comments:

  1. Heather, 'Nothing' never looked so good! This is such a great idea and your tag is gorgeous! Being a crafter, I would love to get an empty jar to put goodies in!! Your recycling/repurposing ideas are fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea - I think I'll use it for my hubby, who always insists he wants 'nothing' for his birthday, Christmas, etc!
    I'm your newest follower from SC! www.stampandcreatewithdeborah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)