Friday, December 30, 2011

Recipe - Plum Glazed Cornish Hens

I haven't made many projects this year. I enjoy making things, but no one seems to really appreciate them (or have too many things as it is and don't want more) so I didn't do much this year. Instead I decided to try my hand at making a few different recipes. I'll share them over the next few posts.

My family isn't very adventurous when it comes to trying new things. I won't try a lot of "gourmet" things myself, we are simple people. However, there are lots of recipes I see I want to try but don't knowing they'd all say "eeeeeew, what is that? " and not even try it.

This year I cooked Christmas Day dinner for my parents and tried a couple of different things. Of course I had the regular corn, dads green beans, fruit salad, carrots and celery sticks as well as "normal" salad  and dinner rolls to keep the kids happy. The new to me recipes turned out pretty good, even if I did change things up a tiny bit. I didn't get any photos of the food, I'll share the recipes over the next couple of days.



Plum Glazed Cornish Hens
  • 3 (1 1/2 pound) Cornish game hens
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3/4 cup plum jam
  • 1 (1.25 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced, for garnish

Directions

  1. Place the game hens in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
  2. Mix the plum jam and onion soup mix together in a bowl until well blended. Remove 1/4 cup of the jam mixture and refrigerate until needed. Brush the remaining jam mixture over the hens.
  3. Set the slow cooker on Low for 7 hours. Brush the reserved glaze over the hens. Cook on Low 1 hour more. Place hens on serving plates and garnish with kiwifruit slices.


MY NOTES: I cooked four 22 oz cornish hens in a 6 QT slow cooker. They were stood up on end and I did not stuff them with anything. There was no plum jam to be found, so I used Paula Deen's Forest Fruit jam, 1 cup. I cooked the hens for one hour on high then 5 hours on low, brushing with glaze every two hours. They fell off of the bone so it was tricky getting them out of the cooker in one piece and onto a platter. I omitted the Kiwi fruit garnish, it would have been a waste of money/food since no one in my family would have eaten it and really don't care about "presentation" of food. They turned out great ! 

1 comment:

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)