Sunday, December 11, 2011

Santa Suit Plant Wrap









I received these gorgeous poinsettias from my parents for my birthday. They had a plastic "wrapping paper" type of wrap around the pot, as you normally see around potted plants. I decided to make something fun to use instead and came up with this Santa Suit Plant Wrap. You could also repurpose an old tin can by using paint and perhaps a real belt if you want something more sturdy to use year after year or give as a gift. 




All supplies from Stampin' Up!:
12x12 textured Real Red card stock
12x12 Basic Black card stock
Whisper White card stock, scrap
Silver metallic card stock, scrap
Texturz Plate Perfect Details
Embossing Folder Frames
Big Shot die cut machine
1/2" Circle Punch
Brass Template - I don't recall the name; circles and squares
Stylus
Paper Piercer
Tearing Edge
Scissors
Sticky Strip
SNAIL Adhesive
Velcro - sewing notions 



I cut two strips of the textured Real Red card stock to 5 1/2" x 12" to fit around my pot. I pieced them together using Sticky Strip to make one 19" long strip to wrap around the pot. When you are assembling this, be sure that the seams are off to the sides. You want the smooth 12" portion for the front of the Santa Suit Plant Wrap.

I adhered Velcro with Sticky Strip along the short edges so I can easily remove the wrap and store it flat for next year. However, as I was making this, I thought it would have been better to punch a few holes along the short edges, reinforce the holes then lace up the seam with ribbon. By doing it this way, I could wrap a pot that was larger. I may still do this if I am able to remove the Velcro without damaging the wrap.

Using the Perfect Details Texturz Plate, emboss a scrap of Whisper White card stock. Tear the two 5 1/2" long edges and glue to the front middle of the Real Red card stock.

Cut two pieces of Basic Black card stock 1 1/2" x 12". Piece them together to wrap around the length of the Real Red card stock, leaving seams off to the sides, out of sight from the front view. Don't glue to the Real Red wrap just yet !

Run a scrap of silver metallic card stock through the Big Shot in the Frames embossing folder. Carefully trim around the outer edge of the frame with scissors then use a hobby knife and straight edge to cut two slits inside the two short edges the middle. This will allow you to run the black strip of card stock through.

Run the Basic Black card stock strip through the "buckle". Glue to the Real Red card stock, centering the buckle over the Whisper White "fur trim".

You can use real buttons, but I didn't have any black ones the size I wanted so I made my own. There are also dies to make buttons out of card stock, but I do not have one. To create my paper buttons, I punched two 1/2" circles from Basic Black card stock. Using a stylus and brass template, I dry embossed just inside the edges of the circles. I then punched two small holes with the paper piercer in the center. Glue to the Whisper White "fur trim".

Thanks for looking =) 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is so much better than the plastic wrap!! The belt buckle is awesome!! Such a great idea for dressing up a flower pot!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)