Monday, December 12, 2011

Snowman Ornament - Petal Cone Die






I've made many, many different snowmen projects over the years. Some are very similar to this project. This year I decided to put the Petal Cone die to use to see if I could make it into a snowman face ornament. I knew it would be a bit more work than other snowmen I've made. I think it turned out okay (but I won't be making any more !). So here it is, another fun use for the Petal Cone die from Stampin'  Up! 




Most supplies used were from Stampin' Up!:
Big Shot die cut machine
Petal Cone die
Snowflakes die


Scrap of Whisper White card stock


Clear drying liquid glue
Dazzling Diamonds glitter
Button ( Night Of Navy from the Fresh Favorites collection)


Linen thread
Fabrics
Polyfil
Hot glue
Twine or ribbon
Scrap of Pumpkin Pie (or any orange) card stock
Two black brads, buttons or 1/4" circles of Basic Black card stock








Cut two petal cones out of fabric. I used an old white bedspread that I tea stained.



Hot glue edges together (or stitch) to create the cone. Run a little bit of Fray Check along the raw edges of the fabric first to help keep them from fraying.
Stuff with polyfil.




Carefully glue the bottom flaps closed. Or hand stitch. 
Die cut a snowflake, brush on clear drying liquid glue, cover with Dazzling Diamonds glitter. Set aside to dry.
Make a simple hat from a tube of fabric (or old sock or sweater !).
Hot glue hanging loop to pointy end of cone.
Slide hat over pointy end, hot glue in place. Tie twine (or ribbon) around the top.
Glue on snowflake and button.





Make a "carrot" nose out of a long skinny  triangle piece of card stock rolled tightly. Glue to face. I would normally use orange clay or a piece of dowel rod sharpened and painted, but decided to show a simple way to make a nose for paper crafters. You could also use an orange pipe cleaner curled up on itself or a piece of orange felt / fun foam. 
Glue on two 1/4 " circles of Basic Black card stock for eyes. I used a white Signo gel pen for the highlights. You could also use buttons, brads, knotted embroidery thread, felt or fun foam instead of the card stock.
Brush blush (Stampin' Pastels) on the cheeks if you'd like. I didn't on this particular project because it wouldn't work well on the knobby material.






I cut a strip from a fleece blanket (cheap way to buy fleece for craft projects) to make the scarf. It was hot glued on. The above photo shows the finished snowman before putting the scarf on (which is optional).

Thanks for looking =)   

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I love these old bedspreads and you have made such a treasure with it!! You have so many crafty talents and I love 'popping by' to see what you will come up with next!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)