Monday, April 16, 2012

3D Floral Tent Fold Card



Totally inspired by a sample I saw in a book. I spent far too much time trying to make it work with a die rather than hand cutting as the sample was made. None of the dies I have would work quite right.  I managed to make one sort of look okay after much trial and error (yes, I should have spent my time more wisely!) .  In the end they turned out okay, but I won't make another card this way.



Designer Papers, stamp images, inks are all retired from Stampin' Up!
Die to make the flower is from Stampin' Up!


 inside




front and back laid open so you can see the cut









Place the fold of your card on the die, centering it where you'd like . I chose to line it up between the points where petals met. The half of the card that will be cut has 3 petals on it (it was a 5 petal flower die) so once it is cut and opened , there will be six petals. The violet version below has the full six petals by lining the die and card stock up as shown above. The yellow and green card above has a slightly smaller set of petals in the middle along the fold because I tried to line the fold up along the center of a set of petals to see what that would look like. They turned out much skinnier than I intended, I slid the die/card stock or didn't have it place exactly where I wanted.

I made a shim out of chipboard layers to cover the portion of the die I wanted to cut. I laid the plastic cutting pad over the card stock and die as I normally would, leaving the second cutting pad out of the "sandwich" to allow room for the shim. This way, when it rolled through (yes, it was tricky! even taping it down to the cutting pad the shim wanted to slide) the pressure would be on the shim, cutting out only that area of the die and not the entire die. As I said previously, I spent far too much time trying to figure out a way to make it work when I really should have just hand cut the flower opening out like the project in the book.




this shows the shim lined up along the fold











white core violet printed card stock from Lasting Impressions
Vintage Violet and Wisteria Wonder inks from Stampin' Up!
die, embossing folder and Stipple Plaid stamp from Stampin' Up!
ribbon unknown
sandpaper
edge of scissors to lightly distress card stock edge
stampin' sponge



Here is the original project inspiration from a book


Thanks for looking =) 

2 comments:

  1. I think your time was well spent! Absolutely gorgeous! Love the fold of the card and your flower is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most beautiful card and i am proud to say I was the recipient. The card is awesome and will be special forever. Thank you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)