Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie Casserole - recipe




I am NOT creative in the kitchen - at all ! However, last night I threw together a few things and came up with this family approved recipe.

It all started with a coupon and recipe insert that was in the Sunday paper. It sounded good, but I didn't have the right ingredients on hand. The original recipe I saw for Chicken and Noodle Pot Pie can be found here.

Here is my version. NOTE: add pepper, salt, etc to your family's tastes. I tend to not add extra salt to recipes. Also, the measurements are not exact since I just threw things in, leftovers I had on hand, as I went along.




INGREDIENTS:


  • leftover roasted garlic and rosemary chicken from our store deli (I chopped a thigh, leg and half of a large breast to use, all that was leftover from dinner a previous night. I think it needed more chicken, but that is all I had.  I found the chicken on sale, already roasted and seasoned, for $2.98 !)


  • 12 oz of wide egg noodles   (the dry packaged type found in the pasta isle at a store, cooked according to package directions. I used approximately 12 oz since I only had a partial 16 oz bag of noodles left and used them all) 


  • about 1/2 cup chopped onion sauteed in a little bit of butter, just to get them softened  (I only had about half of an onion on hand, you could certainly add more if your family likes onion)


  • one 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
  • one  10.5 oz can cream of celery soup  (I've learned to try to keep these as well as cream of mushroom soup on hand; note that I used store brand soups that were 10.5 oz cans )


  • 1/2  of an 8 oz package cream cheese, softened (maybe a full package would work ? I only had half of a package leftover from Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies I made a few days prior)


  • peas and carrots ( I used not quite a half package of frozen veggies, add as many or as little veggies - and different veggies -  as your family likes)




Blend soups and softened cream cheese well. Stir in onion, peas, carrots, chicken, noodles. Season to taste if desired. Pour into a buttered casserole dish (mine was a large stoneware baking dish).





Bread crumb topping:
I used four whole wheat rolls I had in the freezer (yep, more leftovers!). I defrosted them then crumbled them up into very small pieces. I mixed in 3 TBS Parmesan cheese (happened to be leftovers that we didn't use from a boxed pizza mix) and 3 TBS of melted butter. Crumble the mixture over the top of the noodle casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


This made quite a bit of food so I shared some with my parents and still have enough leftover for lunch today =)


Thanks for looking !

1 comment:

  1. You are my cooking hero! My leftovers normally start to grow fuzz before I remember them!
    Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)