Friday, May 11, 2012

It's A Winner - truck card

This is the birthday card I made for my father. It is 5" x 7" and uses supplies from Stampin' Up!. I had several ideas floating around and decided to make this one in the end. I think he may get the idea of them being award ribbons. Doesn't make much sense to make the ribbons though since they receive trophies (or plaques) at car shows for placing, oh well. My parents show truck (this is a photo of it) has won numerous awards over the years. Be sure to peek at the basic scrapbook of the truck I made them last year - it is one of two scrapbooks I've ever made ! The other I forgot to photograph before sending it off to a friend.

I also made a 3D box shaped like the truck a couple of years ago.

I've made lots of masculine cards using the few automotive stamp images from Stampin' Up! I own. I'm kind of getting tired of using the same ones, c'mon Stampin' Up!, make some more automotive stamps like the old Classic Convertibles or Pickups sets that I love ! Maybe the new catalog will have some finally ?!???! Fingers crossed !


Card stock:
Sahara Sand
Basic Black
Brilliant Blue
Real Red
Whisper White

Highways and Byways background stamp
Bold Alpha Numbers stamps

Versamark ink
Black embossing powder
Silver embossing powder
heat gun
3/4" circle punch
square punch (or scissors)
scoring board
low melt hot glue
double stick tape adhesive

Stamp and heat emboss the Highways and Byways background stamp onto Sahara Sand card stock. I used a super wide chisel edge black Sharpie marker to make a faux Basic Black card stock layer around the edge of the Sahara Sand card stock. 

this card would require extra postage,
but I'll be delivering it - along with an apple pie made from scratch =)

The little folded paper medallions are called many different things such as lollies or rosettes. Here is a tutorial that shows you how to make what this web site calls  "fan fold flowers"

Make three medallions from scored card stock strips. Mine were 1/2" x 9" to start, scored every 1/4". I prefer to use low temp hot glue for adhering the crimped paper to the punched circle back piece. Be sure to keep a cup of water nearby in case any hot glue gets on your fingers: dip the finger/glue into the water right away to cool it off, help stop the burning. Although I learned that trick many years ago at a job I had,  I rarely keep water nearby. I'm such a klutz, I'm afraid I'd knock the cup over and spill the water on the project.

I used a 3/4" circle punch and silver embossing powder with number stamps for the center of the medallions.

The ribbons tails are a 1" x 4 1/4" strip of card stock trimmed with a square punch (or scissors) to make the points.

The photo is mounted on Basic Black card stock then adhered to the card over the ribbon tails with dimensionals.

I also wanted to add that I had to do a bit of editing of the photo using my Photoshop Elements 10 software and limited skills. I really, really need to learn how to fully use this awesome program. I can't believe that I was able to pull it off, not done the correct way I'm sure, but it worked for me and this project.
I had to remove outhouses behind the truck bed and utility poles "coming out of the roof". Since the photo was printed so small, I think the edits turned out okay. Here are the before and after photos:

outhouses to the left of the photo
utility poles at the top center

the clean up job looks pretty good on such a small photo

Thanks for looking =)

1 comment:

  1. First of all, your photo editing is great! I wouldn't have a clue how to even begin how to do this!! I love that you put the picture on the card too! I am sure your Dad loved this (and the pie!)
    No such luck on the vintage images in the new catalog... There is a car in one of the sets, but it's more on the fun side than realistic. I'm hoping to get to the post office tomorrow to mail your new catalog!!


THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)