Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Blossom End Rot





Sigh, my three tomato plants were doing so well and have been loaded with blooms and baby tomatoes, but now they are getting what I believe to be Blossom End Rot. I've never seen this happen before. I assume it is because of where they are planted this year, something must be wrong with the dirt. Or perhaps this drought we are in ? I think I water them enough though. Every single tomato so far has this rot on the bottom. I've thrown away 27 to date and just noticed a couple more this morning starting to get discolored ....... I am so bummed about this. I may as well quit wasting water on them, sigh. 








Then again this little bird ( a couple actually ) has been 
"fertilizing" the plants on a regular basis.
The tomato cages are their favorite place to sit; 
perhaps the bird droppings have something to do with it ?! 
Nah, from what I've read it is most likely the soil. 
Makes sense since they were planted in the hollow from an 
I added a bag of Miracle Grow garden soil before planting them.
 Perhaps because hubby insisted on using it
as a burning pit,  the soil was robbed of good nutrients and 
added too many bad things from the ash. 

Keeping fingers crossed things will turn around 
and I'll be picking yummy tomatoes soon enough.
If not, I'll be on the lookout for home grown tomatoes
sold road side or at a farmer's market. 

2 comments:

  1. We had this on our tomato plants two years ago. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but we moved our tomatoes to a new spot the next year and they did great. Seems like it could be related to some sort of fungal disease. We use natural compost on our garden and it seems to keep things fairly balanced as long as we rotate where we plant things. It might also be the type of tomato is more susceptible to disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always told the blossom end rot is due to over watering/irregular watering??? just a thought.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)