Saturday, June 23, 2012

Digital "Art" For The Frame





I created this piece of "art" to place inside of the frame I made in yesterdays post so it wouldn't be empty when I gave it to the mommy to be. I used My Digital Studio from Stampin' Up! to make the art.

I started with a 5x7 landscape card, starting from scratch.




The very first thing I did was make two square punches into rectangles to block off the portion of the "card" I did not want to decorate because I only needed a 3.5" x 5.5" design area. Make sure the ruler is on so you can see where you want to edges of your rectangle/ "mask" to be. By laying on the two rectangles (any color/opacity you want) to "cover up/mask off" the extra space, it was easier to see the area I had to work in. I'm still a newbie when it comes to MDS, there are surely better ways to do what I did, but it works far better for me than turning on the grid.


Anyway, once I had my "canvas area" set, I started by adding the Simple Letters punch pack add on . They were color filled with Regal Rose and added a drop shadow. The apostrophe for "it's" was made by inserting a text box, type the apostrophe, color match, drop shadow (though I don't think it looks nearly as crisp as the punch graphic).

Once I arranged all the letters to my liking, I grouped them together so I could move them around the work area if needed.

I built a baby from the All In The Family stamp set then used punches altered in size and filled with color / designer paper to fill in the baby's face, onesie and shoes.

I then set about adding the different words in the background, all of which were either stamped with images from the Nursery Necessities stamp set or typed in a text box with Basic Black. The opacity was reduced to 10%.

I printed and trimmed, it fit perfectly in the frame opening and looks so much better than giving them the boring stock photo that came with it - or an empty frame.

It was a little bit of work, but fun trying to figure out something new to me to do with My Digital Studio. After working on this project, I know I will be needing more baby stamp images since there were very few to choose from in the original software package.

Check back tomorrow to see the sweet basic white onesie I stamped !

Thanks for looking =)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the idea of using the punches to mask off the area! Much better than fiddling with the piece to make sure it fits where you want it!! The finished piece is absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)