Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Card






I spent the morning (most of the day actually!) making this "card" for my dad.

I spent the afternoon baking a home made apple pie (his Father's Day gift from me) and a couple of side dishes to take to their house for supper.

I had the intentions of making a simple card, nothing too time intensive. Definitely nothing with cars or trucks this time since it seems I am always using the Classic Convertibles or Classic Pickup stamps sets from Stampin' Up! for his cards.

Once I got to the craft dungeon though, things evolved and I made this - the card that won't fold =)

Since I was on a roll, I made one similar to it for my mom. I wanted to make her a Thank You card for taking care of Kitty and my flowers while we were out of town. I'll post that card tomorrow.

Dads card started with going through some scraps of decorative paper. I think I spent an hour alone trying to decide what scraps to use, trying to match them with card stock colors. Yes, the decorative papers were not from Stampin' Up! so most of my card stock did not coordinate.

Anyhow, long story short, after much fiddling around and changing of my mind, this is what I came up with.
I used precut chipboard letters (you'll see what they look like on my moms card when I post it later). They were flowery ! My original intention was to cover them with decorative papers, but I was having a tough time finding something I really liked and that would work with other papers, etc. In the end, I drug out my trusty craft paints and crackle medium.

Lightly sand the chipboard letter because there is a semi glossy like surface to it. Coat with Gesso, basecoat with dark gray craft paint, coat with crackle medium then add a thick coat of white acrylic craft paint. Lightly "fly speck" with dark brown acrylic craft paint on an old toothbrush; run your thumb across it to splatter. Allow to dry well between each step !

Distress edges of the decorative paper and adhere to the base card. Mine was Night of Navy card stock, 12" long, scored at 4" and 8".

Hot glue (or super sticky double stick tape) the letters onto the papers.

Add a little bit of white acrylic paint to the top of the decorative brad (Stampin' Up! Hodge Podge Hardware), lightly wipe off so the paint stays in the depression.

Stamp (Night of Navy ink) saying onto strip of card stock (Going Gray), trim then sponge White Craft Ink onto the edges of the card stock. Happy is from the Happy Everything stamp set by Stampin' up! and Father's Day was made with Snap Stamps. 

Attach the brad to the strip of card stock with the saying to the top of the chipboard letter with hot glue. 

Thanks for looking =) 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This was definitely a labor of love! The letters are fantastic and I love the dab of paint on the brad to coordinate! Fabulous card and apple pie-YUM!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)