Monday, July 9, 2012

Printer Tray Project - My Pets

Remembering my buddies.................


I received this adorable printer tray as a gift last Christmas (Thanks, Margy!!).  It is manufactured by 7 Gypsies and was bought from Joann.com . I decided to make a collage of my pets, three of which are no longer with us, so I could display it year round . The kids don't like having their photos taken (unless they are doing it themselves, taking goofy photos to post somewhere) or displayed so I thought why waste the time.








The first step to this project is to measure each opening to know how small the photos and card stock pieces need to be. After taking all of the measurements, I set the tray nearby as I looked through my digital photos. Having the tray nearby to refer to helped me to pick out a few favorites to fit each space. I spent hours trying to pick and arrange photos then hours more cropping and reducing them to print. I don't have the images and names aranged in particular groups as I had intended to do since it was too difficult finding photos to fit the spaces. So they are all jumbled up. This project did take quite a bit of time overall, but it was worth it =) 



All supplies used, unless otherwise noted, are from Stampin' Up!
Stamp Sets:
Meow Meow
Bow Wow
Alphadots (Ringo)
Little Letters (Kitty)
Classic Alpha (Mulligan)
Outline Alpha (Cassie)

Card stock:
Whisper White
Going Gray
Basic Black

Inks:
Basic Gray
Whisper White Craft
Versamark

Black embossing powder
Copper embossing powder
Crystal effects
Red glitter
Basic Black marker
Signo White Gel Pen
Assorted ribbon scraps
Brad, ribbon slide
Sticky Strip
circle punch
dimensionals
bleach
tiny paint brush
glossy acrylic craft paints
Stampin' Sponge





Cassie the Dog:
Use Versamark ink to stamp the letters onto Basic Black card stock.
Heat emboss with copper embossing powder.
Carefully paint bleach inside the embossed lines to change the color of the black card stock.
Doodle a line around the edge of the card stock with the white gel pen (I should have used a metallic pen if I had one).
Carefully dab bits of paint into the grooves of the flower brad with a toothpick. Gently wipe across the ridges to remove extra paint and allow the silver to show through. Do the yellow center first, allow to dry then do the white petals. I really like to do this to otherwise plain debossed metallic items.
Once the flower brad is dry, cut a piece of ribbon to fit around card stock. Punch a small hole where the brad is to go through the card stock. Pinch the ribbon together, placing the ribbon between the prongs of the brad and push them back together. Insert the prongs through the hole , sandwiching the pinched ribbon between the card stock and back of the brad. Open the prongs on the back side of the card stock to hold in place. Use sticky strip to adhere the ribbon ends to the back of the card stock.








Mulligan the gray and white male cat:
Stamp the letters with Versamark ink onto Going Gray card stock then heat emboss with black embossing powder. Stamp paw prints with Basic Gray ink. Lightly sponge Gray ink around the edges of the card stock. Wrap ribbon around card stock and adhere tails to back with sticky strip.






Ringo the black and white male cat:
Stamp images from the Meow Meow stamp set with Versamark ink onto Basic Black card stock. Heat emboss with black embossing powder. Stamp and heat emboss Alphadots letters onto Whisper White card stock, punch out. Attach to black card stock with dimensionals.







Kitty: the solid gray female cat, my one and only pet now:
Stamp and heat emboss black letters onto Going Gray card stock. Sponge edges of card stock with Whisper White craft ink. Wrap a strip of ribbon around card stock , adhere ends to back. Cut a small piece of ribbon and run through ribbon slide, attach to ribbon wrapped around card stock with hot glue. 








Stamp sayings onto Whisper White card stock with Versamark ink.
Heat emboss with black embossing powder.
Add lines or dots around the edges of the card stock with the black marker.
Fill in hearts with Crystal Effects then pour on red glitter. 
Tap off excess and set aside to dry.






I wrapped pieces of ribbon around handle at top and hot glued on a button. 
I may go back and all all sorts of strips of ribbon to the entire handle......



Thanks for looking =) 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I absolutely adore it! Such an incredible way to honor the precious gifts in our lives!

    Ivy
    stampinivy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - it turned out so awesome. Mine is still in the package. Maybe I need this for inspiration. What a great idea. Glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely ADORE this loving tribute to your pets. I lost my sweet Tux at the same time of year...sigh...
    Thanks so much for sharing - loved the step-by-steps :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! I have looked and looked at these trays, but never bought one...
    All of the small details on the stamping and the sweet pictures make this so special! Not only a wonderful remembrance, but a beautiful work of art!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)