Friday, August 10, 2012

Scrapbook Page with My Digital Studio -Glitter!





I came across this photo while looking for one to submit to a pet calendar fundraising contest. One of my favorites of our beloved dog Cassie who passed away last year.  Not that I need yet another project featuring one of my pets, but I couldn't resist making this scrapbook page with My Digital Studio using the papers I recently spent hours (and hours and hours!) digitizing. I used my Canoscan to scan in retired designer papers that are not available digitally for use with MDS. It was a good project to work on during the record breaking heat we've had this summer. Love these papers, but I wanted a little something more for this project ......... glitter ! 

The layout is based on a sketch at the Create With Connie and Mary web site this week that I saw a reference to elsewhere.  I did change it a tiny bit ;)    CCMC213  < Click the link to see dozens of  fantastic submissions !






My Digital Glitter Paper Closeup

                       ** click the image above to enlarge so you can see the digital glitter paper on the snowflake better!**


This is a close up of my digital glitter paper (also thread for the button and digitized papers I made as well ). It was a bit tricky to make the digital glitter paper, and I know it can be better, but it isn't bad. It looks pretty good, for a digital image, on smaller items such as this snowflake punch.

This is how I made my digital glitter/glimmer/shimmer paper:
~I sprinkled Dazzling Diamonds glitter onto white pape then took a photo of it.
~I opened that digital photo file on my computer and increased the exposure with Photoshop Elements 10 to make it white since it came out gray (I could also use it as a silver metallic digital glitter paper!).
~I cropped out the best looking area and saved it as my glitter paper file to use in My Digital Studio.
~I saved the custom made paper file in a folder I created and named Custom under My Computer / Program Files / My Digital Studio / Components / Backgrounds / Designer Series Papers. 

In order to make the glitter paper look better on the snowflake punch in My Digital Studio, I layered two snowflake punches on top of each other. The base punch is Whisper White, the top one is my glitter paper that I reduced in opacity a bit . I had to do this because I thought the digital glitter paper still had a gray tint to it. I also changed the size of the punch in relation to the original digital glitter paper file I filled it with by clicking on it a couple of times. By doing this, the flakes got smaller, more fine (the punch was zooming out on the paper fill screen). Look at tomorrows post to see the glitter a bit "chunkier" by not reducing the size of the original file in the punch. 

No, I've not had my digitized papers printed out to know how they look in ink on paper vs my computer screen.


SUPPLIES:
*My Digital Studio from Stampin' Up!, original version
*All decorative papers are made by me by digitizing Ski Slope designer papers and glitter.
*Old Olive textured card stock and scalloped square punch for the scalloped edge photo mat
*Chocolate Chip around the edge of the photo (photo mat)
*Square punches stretched to make rectangles then filled with decorative paper
*Scalloped Square punch filled with matching paper and hidden behind the brown rectangle to get the scalloped edge on the end (easier than trying to use the scallped edge punch then covering up a portion of it with a square punch filled with the blue snowflake designer paper, believe me I tried that first)
*Snowflake punch filled with my glitter paper
*Scalloped circle and circle punchs
*Baja Breeze button (Subtles buttons)
* the thread I created to fill the button holes
I made the digital thread some time ago basically the same way although I don't remember all of the exact steps. I saved it into a custom folder I made in the Embellishments folder.



There are likely glitter digital papers already shared somewhere on the web, but I don't do much internet surfing (and no downloads unless I pack the old laptop off to get free wifi somewhere, and even then it doesn't always work !) due to slow internet connection.

Check back tomorrow for another My Digital Studio glitter paper project - with red glitter.


Thanks for looking =) 

10 comments:

  1. Awesome layout. To bad you can't enter the page into the pet contest. Well why don't you try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great layout with perfect wintry colors. I'm so impressed that you make your own paper for MDS! So cool! Thanks for joining us at Create With Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful how you turned this sketch into a scrapbook page! I love it! Thanks for playing CCMC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you turned the card sketch into a scrapbook page!!Fabulous! Thanks for playing along this week at Create with Connie & Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scrapbook page with this sketch, it is perfect for it! LOVE that glittery paper done with MDS, too! Thanks for playing along with the sketch challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever to use this sketch for your scrapbook page! Love all the details you did using the digital program - genius!! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...what a FABULOUS scrapbook page...but then ANY page that features a little doggie friend is absolutely FABULOUS! Cassie was a beautiful dog! Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You have pulled a fantastic scrapbook page from this sketch. It's never easy loosing a pet, but you have this amazing page to reflect on, and if you are like me, you probably have an entire album dedicated to you pets. Thanks for paying this week at CCMC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great MDS page. Love it! Thanks for playing the Create with Connie & Mary Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, this is fantastic! Such a brilliant idea for the glitter paper too! FYI- when the new MDS2 is downloaded, some have found that it erases non SU files, so be sure you have anything not downloaded from SU backed up first! Would hate for you to lose all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)