Saturday, September 15, 2012

Facebook Covers with My Digital Studio and Photoshop Elements


  I used My Digital Studio from Stampin' Up! 
as well as Photoshop Elements 10 to 
create a custom facebook cover !

Now that I have Timeline (perhaps because of my entries in the Fiskars contest because it changed the day I entered?), I may as well have fun creating custom cover photos. Not that I use facebook much. I've used it more recently with uploading my entries and sharing the links to them than I have all year !

These are my first attempts at making a custom sized  image with the original version of My Digital Studio.

I started with a 12 x 12 scrapbook. I'm not sure of the exact size, I'm guessing 12" long and around 4" tall ? I inserted a square punch and stretched it to fit. I then filled with background paper and embellishments. It was an idea I was testing and it worked out well enough after some tweaking. I read that it is easy to make custom canvas sizes in the new MDS2, but I don't have that version just yet................... patiently (or rather impatiently?) waiting for it to come out on disc.

After creating my photo collage, I exported it as a jpeg then opened that saved photo file in Photoshop Elements 10. I created a blank canvas, 851 x 315 pixels (dimensions found posted online in several places stating this is the size to use for facebook Timeline photos) then inserted the image that I created in MDS. It was a little bit long, so I went back into MDS, scooted the grouped photos a bit closer together, saved and exported to jpeg then inserted into the PSE10 canvas. It worked ! This could be fun to do (but a bit time consuming) , making custom cover photos for all sorts of holidays, seasons, etc .


Here is the second one I created after the light bulb moment: why didn't I resize the punch to the correct pixels (851W x 315H), then grab the corner and reduce it in size to fit back on the 12x12 page ? The resized punch (which became my canvas area) was 600 pixels wide by 221 tall (or 12" wide by 4.42" tall) . Once again, still not perfect, needing tweaked in PSE10 - it would be so much easier to be able to make a custom canvas size in MDS. The next one I make, I will try to use Photoshop Elements 10 only with the correct canvas size and import the My Digital Studio images.





The hands around the candle are a 'stock" image from a web site. The black background, text and "We Will Never Forget" (profile picture that will be layered over the timeline photo on facebook) were created in My Digital Studio.


By the way, here are the direct links to my projects submitted to the Fiskars contest if you'd like to vote for them. All votes are much appreciated , Thank you !


Tree Of Love 



Butterfly frame



Supplies used in My Digital Studio:
background paper from The Write Stuff
Cherry Cobbler grosgrain ribbon
inserted a photo box and matted with Whisper White, drop shadow, decreased in size
font is Varsity typed in a text box
silver brads as "push pins"
I should have used the pennant punch to make school pennants !!!! I may go back in and do that.......

Thanks for looking =)




2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I've seen a bunch of cool creative things people have done with the Timeline layout. Since everyone seems to hate it otherwise, at least that part can be customized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. You are so very creative!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)