Friday, September 7, 2012

Memory Box - construction




Instructions for the box I shared yesterday.


SUPPLIES:
*it is best to start with a pre-made paper mache` box if available*
3 pieces of 12 x 12 card stock 
chipboard
double stick tape
ruler and stylus (or scoring board)
paper cutter 
hobby knife and straight edge


It is MUCH easier and far less time consuming to use a pre-made craft box as your base. If you don't have one, you can make your own such as I did. The two previous Memory Boxes I made from paper mache boxes, but I didn't have any more "in stock" and there are no craft supply stores nearby so I improvised.




I started with scratch paper, 12 x 12 in size, so I could figure out the dimensions and how I wanted to construct the box. It required three pieces of 12 x 12 card stock as well as chipboard to cut to fit inside to make it sturdier. My original idea was to construct the box out of mat board then cover it with card stock, but after thinking about it a bit more, I decided the lid would be tricky . So this is what I came up with (adjust dimensions as you'd like):















Cut two of the sides and base out of one piece of 12x 12 card stock.

Cut the other two sides out of a second piece of 12 x 12 card stock.






Cut the lid out of the third piece of card stock.








Apply super sticky double stick tape to the tabs that will adhere the sides and bottom together.










Carefully attach the pieces. Start with the bottom, two sides piece then wrap the other two sides piece around. It can be a bit tricky, especially if your tape is very sticky (only expose one piece of tape at a time to help avoid the wrong parts sticking to the wrong pieces of tape).








I recommend lining the card stock box with chipboard to make it a bit more sturdy, especially if you are adding a lot of embellishments to the sides. You don't want it to get warped or saggy looking over time. Cut chipboard to fit snugly inside the box. A couple of pieces may need to be trimmed a tiny bit smaller to fit properly. Adhere with double sided sticky tape. Insert the base piece first. To attach the sides, you'll want to slide it in away from the card stock. Tilt the top away while you scoot the bottom of the chipboard towards the bottom fold of the box. This will help you line it up square as you are pressing the sides up to the top of the box because once your tape is stuck to the card stock, it is very difficult to remove if it is not properly lined up, square.

Glue a piece inside the lid and around the inside edges if you'd like. Make sure the lid is loose enough to allow the chipboard to fit. I made the mistake of not allowing enough space when I made my box so there is no chipboard around the inside edges (mine was cut and scored to make a 5 7/8" square top, not quite enough room). I adjusted the pattern shared here to make a 6" square lid, more than enough room to line the edges with chipboard.






Your box is complete and ready to decorate !

For a different version of a box, not as sturdy more room for many more photos, look here. 


2 comments:

  1. Your talent simply amazes me. I would never have the patient to make my own box. Loved the memory box...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous design and you did a wonderful job sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)