Saturday, October 6, 2012

Blog Hop - Operation Write Home World Card Making Day

http://operationwritehome.org/starsandstamps

Be sure to click the link above to be taken to the list of
awesome bloggers sharing their wonderful creations this weekend !

Also, if you've not heard of Operation Write Home,
take a moment to read about this wonderful organization.
It is gratifying to make works of heart to be sent to the troops
 overseas so they have something special to write home on.






I'm thrilled to be a participant in this years 
Operation Write Home World Card Making Day blog hop! 
Thank You So Much for stopping by =) 





Sorry that this is not the best photo, 
it does not show the glittery accents on the snow,
silver ink or dry embossing details very well.
I assume the different shimmery effects as well as the 
contrast of dark and light colors messed with
my camera, not allowing it to capture the image well. 

I used the crayon resist technique and added glitter highlights
on the tree and snow. Please remember, NO GLITTER on the cards
you make to send to Operation Write Home. 












Our challenge was to create a holiday/wintry feel card based on a sketch from the Operation Write Home sketch designs. My card front uses a slightly altered version of sketch number 21. I changed the dimensions of the pieces since the finished card is a 5" x7" size.









Although I am pleased with the front of my card, the inside is what I'm most excited to share: a decorate it yourself pop up mini Christmas tree ! I made tiny ornaments with various paper punches and backed them with adhesive dots. I left them on the release paper so the recipient can easily removed them to decorate the tree. Wouldn't this be fun to send to someone special, such as an injured service member recuperating in the hospital or one that is serving overseas ? Please don't use glitter if sending to service members though.

We were asked to keep our posts short for the hop, so if you'd like more information about how I made this card, please come back tomorrow, Sunday October 7th. I'll be sharing the technique I used on the tree, the supply list as well as a sketch with the sizes I used to make this 5" x 7" card.

Lastly, please take a quick peek at my second post for the day, One Sheet Wonder Cards, that I shared for the Papercrafts magazine blog tour celebrating World Card Making Day. I will post all of the details for this set of cards on Monday and Tuesday. So many details and photos it requires two posts !


Now go get inspired from the rest of the wonderful blogs in this hop ! I'll be visiting all the blogs throughout the weekend. Most of the time I plan on being in my craft dungeon to work on Christmas cards to be sent to hospitalized service members. Last year I stuffed a box full of over 350 cards to be sent to Operation Write Home. I'm not making nearly that many this year for OWH since I've already done nearly 100 for an Honor Flight and am working on those cards for injured heroes to be collected locally. It really is gratifying and fun making cards for our heroes, just a small way to show my support for all that they do and sacrifice for our country.

Thanks for stopping by,
Heather

47 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I had to chuckle when I saw your cat amongst your craft supplies because that is soooooo my craft area now that it's in our multipurpose room instead of a private room with a door. With seven felines there are always one or two on my desks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your tree pops as a focal point against the elegant background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you did that tree. The snow and background make it look so peaceful and wintery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card! The tree on your card is just beautiful with the snow on the branches.The tree looks like a lot of fun to make . I just posted my supply list for my card. The die is Frostyville from Memory Box

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card!! And I love the 'decorate the tree' idea!!!

    Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a pretty card! I love that tree image on the elegant background. Very nice card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the crayon resist technique - it really helps create a snowy tree. Happy WCMD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun card-- love this tree! Thank you for your support of OWH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks gorgeous, love the way you did the blue background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card and that tree is gorgeous! Fabulous sketch also!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great sketch to highlight such a pretty tree!
    Happy World Cardmaking Day!
    Sandy, OWH President

    ReplyDelete
  12. That SU tree is just perfect for this sketch. This came out very nice! Thanks too for reminding everyone that loose glitter is a no-no for OWH cards. Thanks for hopin with us today!

    Paula S.
    OWH Blog Team

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like how you did the tree. I have the same stamp and you've inspired me to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! Your single tree says it all…home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The embossed navy background is perfect for this silver paper. I love the lone tree with glittery accents ~ so very pretty! What a great idea to include the tree on the inside. How fun is that?? Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pop-up tree inside the card.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Your tree looks SO real! Love it!
    Hummer Hugs,
    Misty
    http://deliteful-gifts.blogspot.com/
    http://deliteful-alpha-sets.blogspot.com/
    hummingbird204 at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that pop up tree is awesome! And what a great way to use tiny stickers! Thanks for being part of our hop today! ~ Julie, OWH Blog Team :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card!! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks like such a fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  21. great card--love all the silver used

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just so beautiful! I love the subtle worded background, the colors are gorgeous for your image, and wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cute is the pop-up tree inside. Very cool idea. Thanks for the comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card. I can see the shimmery paper on small square -- really pretty. And the tree stamp is also pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful card! The white and blue look lovely and really let the tree shine. The little pop-up tree inside is a really clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the little decorate yourself pop up tree. I'll have to remember to stop by tomorrow for your tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is my very favorite tree stamp on the front of your card!! Love it! Love the idea of an interactive card too. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just love what you've done with this sketch ....gives the effect that one is looking out a window at the tree. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful take on the sketch. It create such a clean and simple look. TFS AJ-

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very pretty! I love the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your card front! It was so lovely! The inside is just all kinds of fun! I love that it can be personalized! That is such a sweet idea! Thanks for sharing and for supporting OWH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very pretty tree and the tree on the inside great idea !

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful idea for the tree kit! And I love your winter tree on the outside and how you did the squares behind it!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very beautiful card! I love your coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is the cutest idea. Love that you are leaving the decorating to the recipient. I need to figure out how to do one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pretty card-love the image! I LOVE what you did inside! I just followed you bc I LOVE the 1 sheet wonders and am looking for more!! THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your tree! It really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wonderful card...so pretty...silver and navy are truly a classic combo. The image is perfect for this card. tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You made a terrific version of the sketch. It is very dramatic with the silver background. Love the tree image which you enhanced with the snow effects. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful card--I like all the shimmer on the outside and the very clever inside!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome! I can't wait to check out the one sheet wonder link.. Off I go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Stunning card! The contrast between the silver and navy creates a very dramatic look. The heat and dry embossing add so much texture and then there's the beautiful, snow flocked tree!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love, love, love the decorate it yourself tree!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a lovely snowy tree! And the pop-up inside? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a beautiful tree you used - the sketch really highlights it as the focal point!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful!!!!!! I am CASEing this one!!! Although, I'm not so sure mine with have the fantastic pop up tree inside!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)