Sunday, October 7, 2012

Christmas Tree Card How To - OWH WCMD Hop



These are the dimensions I used to create the card I shared yesterday  
They were altered from the original sketch since my finished card is 5" x 7". 




Supplies used (almost all of which came from Stampin' Up!,):
Navy blue card stock
Silver metallic card stock
Gold metallic card stock
Glossy white card stock
Various colors of card stock scraps
Decorative paper, lightweight
Dark green marker
Dark brown marker
Navy blue ink pad
Metallic silver ink pad
Dark green ink pad
White crayon
Glitter and dimensional glue
Textured embossing plate
Rubber stamps
Pop Up Christmas tree die
Star paper punch
1/4" circle paper punch
3/8" circle punch
Tiny flower paper punch
Tiny heart paper punch
Snowflake border paper punch- for the teeny snowflakes used on the red ornament, not from Stampin' Up!
Large scallop circle punch, not from Stampin' Up!
Dimensional paper paints, not from Stampin' Up!
Sponge
Facial tissue
Adhesives








I used the crayon resist technique on the tree then added glitter sprinkled onto clear drying dimensional glue to simulate sparkling snow. I added the glitter highlights to some of the branches as well as the ground. NOTE: if you are making cards to send to Operation Write Home, please do not use glitter !

Color your stamp image with water based markers if you'd like it to be multicolored. Stamp your image on glossy white card stock; make sure the ink is dry before moving on to the next step. 

Use the white crayon to draw on areas you want to remain white. Create a mask from a sticky note to cover the area you wish to remain white for the snow covered ground. Sponge ink over the top. The crayon will resist the ink. It is similar to drawing designs on Easter eggs with clear crayons or old wax candles, then the die resists where the egg was drawn on. 

Remove the paper mask. Gently wipe the ink and crayon off with a soft tissue to reveal white highlights where the crayon was. 

To see how to use this technique to create a "black and white" photo stamped image, see my post here. I was quite pleased with how this idea of mine turned out on rubber stamp images of classic vehicles, making several of them to send in to Operation Write Home last year.

Stamp the six silver squares using silver ink. Set aside to dry. For added dimension, heat emboss. TIP: it would be easier to stamp before cutting into pieces, but I wanted my words to line up just so on each piece, so I stamped after cutting. I used a small sentiment stamp that fit almost perfectly, stamping twice per square. 

Dry emboss the large navy blue piece of card stock with an embossing folder, texture plate or brass templates/stylus (remember those?) . You could also heat emboss stamped images or simply stamp the card stock. You may even have preprinted decorative papers that you would like to use in place of the navy and silver pieces. 






The pop up tree was created with a special die made by Sizzix.
Notice that I wrote on the die with a permanent marker
to remind myself how many of each piece to cut out.

All cut out and ready to stamp before assembly.
Stamping isn't necessary, but I like the extra detail.










Assembly is a bit tricky, but once you've made a few of them it gets easier.

Punch two stars from gold metallic card stock then glue back to back on either side of the tree to make the tree topper.

I punched out a large scalloped circle from lightweight decorative paper to glue inside the card before adhering the pop up tree. This made my tree skirt.

I use hot melt glue to adhere the tree to the inside of the card - which for whatever reason, every single one of them I have made doesn't want to fully open / stand upright. It still makes a fun surprise for the recipient.  

Punch numerous little ornaments with various tiny paper punches and papers. Decorate. Apply glue dots to the back of the ornaments and adhere to the release paper the glue dots come on. Perhaps you have some tiny stickers or sticky backed rhinestones/pearls that would work as ornaments, it sure would be easier and less time consuming. You may want to include a note inside the card with the ornaments letting the recipient know that they can be removed from the release paper then be attached to the tree.

Click Here to see my first detailed pop up Christmas tree card. It has the ornaments already attached plus I lightly sponged "snow" on the tops of the tree branches  It is a trifold photo holder card I created my own pattern for. It folds up into a 5"x7" card, opens up to display two photos and a pop up tree. It is still one of my favorite creations. 

Thanks for looking and if you are back from the blog hop yesterday, thanks for visiting me again  =) 




1 comment:

  1. Fabulous tutorial!! Really, really love this card!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)