Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Painted Wood/Grapevine Witch Wreath




I need to do a better job of removing those hot glue strings......
I noticed that I missed painting an outer edge of the witches hat !









Yet another one of those projects that has been in my craft dungeon for years and years................. Not exactly sure why I decided to go ahead and paint it now that I don't really decorate for the holiday any more. Well, I did need to try to work on something to get my mind off of stuff I've been wrestling with the past couple of weeks. It didn't help one bit, but I did get a long neglected project completed. Only well over a thousand more to do, ha ha.

Anyway, because it was Halloween themed and not a card I am entering it into the Anything But A Card Challenge 4, something with a Fall or Halloween theme or simply use fall colors- golds, rust, reds, browns, deep green, etc.
I'm also entering it at the Anythingbutacard.com Challenge #4.


A little bit more about the project:


The wreath was pre assembled with cut out printed wood pieces . All I had to do was to paint them, following the guidelines. I decided to sand them to try to lighten the lines, the paint wasn't going to cover them to my liking. Some are still visible though. I really did not like the facial features that were printed on them so I sanded them off as much as was possible then gave the faces a couple of coats of paint. I simply dotted on black eyes and brushed on some blush for the cheeks.

I used some old basic craft acrylic paints to paint with. A toothpick and cotton swap came in handy for tiny dots.

I carefully pried the hand off of the center witch then made a broomstick from a dowel rod and raffia, hot glued it in place then hot glued the hand over it. I also added a little bit of moss at the bottoms of the pumpkins, those little details (and the hair made from colored raffia that I cut and glued on) added to the project.

I still have a box full of these types of items, but all the rest are Christmas themed. I bought them years ago , working on them to donate to the elementary school holiday bazaar. I didn't get them all completed before my kids moved on from that school and I was not involved with the bazaar any longer (I miss those days !).

Thanks for looking =) 

6 comments:

  1. Great wreath. You did a fab job. Thanks for joining us over at ABAC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You most certainly gave this more personality than the original design!! The painting is wonderful and the addition of the broom and moss were fabulous details! I am so thrilled you joined us again at Anything But a Card!!!

    Hope all is going well for you! Can't wait to see what you find in the dungeon next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so so cute!!!!! Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, this is adorable! good job on the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great makeover you gave that wreath! I love the faces you've given the figures and the colours are perfect.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful wreath with us at Anything But A Card and I do hope you'll join us again soon.
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finished wreath is terrific! Thank you for joining in at Anything But A Card Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)