Tuesday, December 4, 2012

3D Paper Star - Hybrid Project




This is a 3D star decoration wreath I made from card stock. It started as a digital craftable project from My Memories (FREE file available right now) . 

I am entering this project in the Anything But A Card Challenge #7. Take a look at all of the awesome design team projects and entries. 

I am also entering it in the color challenge (CC404) at Splitcoaststampers:
Marina Mist, Cherry Cobbler and Early Espresso








Start with the free Winter Magic Paper Star download from My Memories. It includes the star pattern, digital papers and embellishments. Install it in your My Memories Suite V4 software (you don't have it yet ? use my code STMMMS23251 to save $10 and to receive a coupon for $10 worth of digital content from their store). 

Make it the size you want. I started by creating a portrait 8.5 x 11 album project, inserted the page with four stars twice since I needed 5 points to the star. Now you could export to jpg (Share The Project) and print both pages then cut each point out with scissors. I made a little more work for myself to save ink and card stock: I opened the pages up in Photoshop Elements 10 and combined the two with some editing so I had 5 points on one page. 

I made a third page that had a circle on it and resized it to 1.80" (double click the shape you add, a little box pops up for you to change the size if you want to make it a certain size, in inches or pixels). I filled that circle with paper from the same kit, Winter Magic 3D Star craftable kit. I double clicked on the circle again then used the zoom tool to resize the design of the paper in the circle. To find the digital decorative papers in this kit, click on Background Papers > Purchased > Craftable > Winter Magic.

Joy To The World is a word art embellishment from the Holiday Simplicity kit (designer kit included in the software purchase). I added a slight drop shadow after resizing the image. To find the word art, click on Embellishments > Purchased > Christmas > Holiday Simplicity > Word Art. 

Print and cut out, insert in a metal edge tag. 

Now  as for assembling the star itself,  I once again made more work for myself, but I like how it turned out so much better. There are instructions here to assemble the star the way the designers intended, but I wanted mine to look a bit different, more like the "tin barn star" home decor pieces you see. Scoring down the center of the point and then folding along the score line helped make it look more dimensional, tin star like. 




To do this, I first made a template, guessing at the placement of the fold lines. I made 4 more of these pieces from scratch paper and glued them together with heavy duty double stick tape to see how they were going to look before I did it to the printed pieces. 



back of star once it is all glued together



But I'm getting ahead of myself a bit ! Before I started handling the printed pieces, I lightly sprayed them with  a protectant to help keep the ink from smearing. 


I drew the lines on the back sides where I wanted to fold them then scored along them with a stylus. Gently fold along the score lines.





attaching the pieces with double stick tape
see the white glitter on some of the stripes ?



Although it was going to be cute enough as is, I decided it needed a little something more. I added glitter to the white stripes on each piece. I used a paintbrush to apply clear drying white glue then quickly sprinkled on the glitter. Set aside to dry.

While the glue was drying, I started trying to decide on what to make for other components to the star. In the end, I made a medallion/lolly/whatever you want to call it out of heavyweight white paper. I punched along one edge with a snowflake border punch first (I don't know who the manufacturer is). I scored it with a stylus and scoring board then folded along each score line, accordion style, to make the medallion. Glue the ends together then adhere to a circle cut from a scrap of card stock. I lightly spritzed it with home made shimmer spray. 





trying to show off the shimmer and glitter




The new My Memories Suite software V4 has the ability to export SVG files to certain electronic cutters. This feature would make it really easy to make the scalloped edge circle I used behind the star. I do not have a cutter that I could use this feature on, but I do have a manual cutter with a scalloped edge circle die. I cut out card stock and lightweight chipboard. I glued the card stock to the top of the chipboard. I attached rhinestone gems to the scallops. 

An old wreath and some paper ribbon were finally put to use as a base for the paper star after sitting neglected in my crafts stash for years  ! I lightly sprayed the paper ribbon with home made shimmer mist. I also tried to spray paint some twigs white (old paint didn't work very well plus I was outside in the cold air) to tuck behind the bow and added a few pieces of greenery. 

I used a hot glue gun to attach all the parts to each other to complete the wreath. TIP: You could use an empty cardboard tube to hot glue to the back of it so it can be used as a Christmas Tree topper. 

Now to find a place to hang it ! I love to make crafty projects, but don't make too many things anymore because I am out of room from all of the projects I made years ago. I've still lots of project kits waiting to be completed as well as racks of idea books and dog eared magazines.............

Thanks for looking =)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To enter for a chance to win the award winning My Memories Suite digital scrapbooking (and so much more!) program, I ask that you go to MyMemories.com to look around at all of the amazing, reasonably priced digital kits they offer (many of which are FREE!). Pick out TWO favorites and share the names of them here under my comments. They can be entire kits, quick pages, paper packs - just pick two items available in the MyMemories store and share the names of them. One entry per person, please. Open to residents of the United States only. Email address will be required to notify the winner. The winner will be chosen randomly at 10PM CST December 7th. I am asking for at least 10 people to participate before drawing a winner. If there are not enough entries, I will try the drawing again in January. Entries will not carry over.  Be sure to share this opportunity with your friends ! 

Entry example:
Oh my goodness, there are too many items to choose from in the store. I chose The Perfect Tree by Scraps N Pieces because it was a HUGE kit full of items perfect for Christmas creations. I also chose the Cats and Dogs kit by Connie Prince - exactly what I need to scrap photos of my pets. Thank you for the chance to win this awesome sounding software !


"like" the My Memories Fans page on facebook for more inspiration and a weekly Friday freebie. They also have twitter and pinterest accounts as well as a blog full of inspiring ideas !

Look at the My Memories Suite label here on my blog sidebar for ideas, too (there aren't a lot of them at the moment since I am just getting started with this fun and easy to use program). 

2 comments:

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)