Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Flowers and Butterflies Zig Zag Card










Another trifold (or as I've also seen it referred to, 
a zig zag) card. Made much the same as my
Hearts trifold card only this time I used
dies and patterned papers.

The colors and combination of designer paper patterns
is out of my comfort zone I guess because this 
card seems "off " to me. 
Maybe it is just "too busy", 
has too much going on ?

Also, after looking at it completed,
I think I should have inked the edges of the 
larger die cut pieces before assembling it. 

Supplies used, all from Stampin' Up!
though many are retired.

Very Vanilla card stock
Baja Breeze card stock and ink
Soft Suede ink
So Saffron ink
Birthday Bliss stamp set
Caring Thoughts (?) stamp set
Papillion Potpourri stamp set
Elegant Butterfly punch
Bitty Butterfly punch
Attic Boutique designer paper
Secret Garden dies - current
Scallop Edge border punch
Baja Breeze striped grosgrain ribbon













Lay out your punched pieces before adhering and 
trimming your card stock. I suggest before trimming
because depending upon the size of the die cuts
or punched shapes you use, you may need to trim
more or less off of the top of your card.

I started with a 5 1/2" tall by 12" long piece
of Very Vanilla card stock. 
I scored at 4" and 8" so when folded,
it will make a 4" wide by 5 1/2" tall card.

I lay my pieces on the card first, making sure that the
upper most piece does not extend past the top of the card
so it can fit in a regular A2 envelope.
I made little marks at each side where my shapes
stopped so I knew how far down to trim the top of the card,
cutting a straight diagonal line between the two points.

You can reuse this piece that you cut off to make another
trifold / zig zag card depending on how much you trim off. 

When you are ready to adhere the shapes to your trimmed card, 
you may want to lay the cut off portion back in place or
 create an outline of how big your folded card should be
(i.e., 5 1/2" tall) so when you glue on the first couple pieces
to the tallest portion of the card, they won't 
extend past that size allowing it to fit
in the envelope you plan to use. 






If you'd like to run your card through an embossing folder,
make sure it is one that can fit through your machine 
with the pattern facing the way you'd like.
I had a couple of other folders I would like to have used,
but they were too long to fit through so I ended up
using the stripes folder since it fit
facing the correct way to make the 
embossed pattern I was looking for. 





This shows the back center section of the card.
You'll want to cut coordinating die pieces.
Be sure to flip the paper over if your die is not symmetrical!
You will want to cut two sets of shapes if you are using 
double sided paper that has different designs.
Make sure one set is cut with the paper flipped to the
other side/design so when you adhere them back to back
you will have the same pattern showing outwards.
In my sample, I did not want the reds showing so I had to cut
a second set with the paper flipped so the shapes would be opposite 
to the first set in order to line up back to back.
If your die is perfectly symmetrical, you don't need to worry
about that. 


It also makes the card look more finished with the edge 
of the top of the card covered
of this center portion when the card is closed.

This is the side of the center section that is seen from the front of the
card when the recipient pulls it from an envelope. 






Here is what I did with my leftover piece, it is not complete yet.


I made a snowflake card a couple of years ago 
using Whisper White card stock that I sprayed with 
a home made shimmer spray for the snowflakes.
The base was Bliss Blue card stock stamped
with a Swirly stamp and white Craft ink
that was embossed with a litttle bit of sparkly embossing powder.
I guess I ought to make another one this year to share
since I am unable to find a post for it on the blog.......

This particular card uses a lightweight shimmery cream colored 
paper I bought at an office supply store for the snowflakes.
The snowflakes die strip came from Stampin' Up!,
but is no longer available. Their new Holiday Mini Catalog
has a wonderful new die set with matching stamp set.
I am anxious to get that set, lots of ideas planned for it ! 




Edited To Add:
When submitting a more recent project to a new challenge blog,
 I saw a previously posted challenge on that blog 
that this card would fit perfectly in:
In The Garden


Thanks for looking =)

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for the step by step instructions and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those flowers are gorgeous!! I think that is my favorite so far!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the snowflakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow wow Heather!! Another masterpiece!! Gorgeous!! Absolutely stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)