Friday, August 23, 2013

Holiday Cards for Operation Write Home








In mid August I started making holiday cards to send to Operation Write Home.
If you've not heard of this wonderful group, please take a moment to follow the link to the
web site for more information. If you wish to help but don't have the time to make cards for the troops to write home to their loved ones on, you can donate towards shipping costs.



Some of the cards I am making use bits and pieces of scraps, old stamped images and such that I never seem to totally get rid of. Most are totally new creations. I also want to make more masculine cards as well as some cards for kids to send along if I have enough time. I normally try to send less flowery, girly cards anyway (although they are the easiest to make!) since it seems like the organization is often in need of guy/kid cards. You can click on the Operation Write Home label on my side bar to see some of the many cards I have sent in to this wonderful organization. 

I'll be sharing some of this newest batch of cards I'm donating over the next few weeks. I would like to make about a dozen a week, creating enough to fill a small box to be sent off in early October. 

The above card is the first I made. I really like how it turned out and would have made a half dozen or so to send in , then decided against it since the ribbon is bulky. That extra bulk might cause problems in the mail system and damage the envelope, not allowing it to reach its intended recipient. 

I used white card stock, a piece of cream shimmery paper I bought at an office supply store, gold Encore metallic ink, a jumbo stampin' around wheel and greeting. The stamp images are no longer available, they were bought from Stampin' Up!   NOTE: I discovered that the ink is not permanent on the shimmery paper. 

The pretty organdy ribbon had the gold stars on it when I bought it. It was actually a ruffled ribbon that I trimmed the pleated seam edge off of. I gave it a good rub to make sure that none of the shininess came off. No loose glitter is to be used on cards that are donated to Operation Write Home. 

Thanks for looking =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)