Sunday, September 1, 2013

Santa Face Cards











These cute cards are nothing new, I have been making a few every year since I first came up with the idea in 2008 after being inspired by an old craft project several years ago.

I made ten of them to send to Operation Write Home this year.

My original "tutorial" is posted here, but I'm writing another one for this post.








Updated pattern - I realized when I went back to look at my original post, I should have marked that the white piece to run through the embossing folder should be 4 1/8" wide. It needs to be a smidge smaller because the embossed area is not truly 4 1/4" wide by 5 1/2" tall as the cards most of us make are. It will still work if you choose to make it easier on yourself to cut an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of card stock into equal fourths ( 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"  each piece), the result will be some small edges without embossing. You can then trim them off or use as is.
Better yet, use an embossing folder or texture plate that has a true 4 1/4" x 5  1/2" embossed area.

My finished card is 4 1/8" wide by 5 1/2" tall.





















You'll want to play around with the pieces to figure out the
best way for you to assemble him before gluing.


  1. I adhere the red strip to the top first.  3/4" is plenty of width, you don't need an entire 1" wide piece of red if you'd like to conserve paper.
  2. I lay on the beard for placement of the flesh piece. If you use an entire piece of flesh colored card stock rather than try to place a smaller piece over a white card base, it is easier. I chose to use smaller pieces to conserve my Blush Blossom (no longer available) card stock.
  3. I lay the other pieces on to decide where I like the placement and to note where I should apply the chalked cheeks.
  4. I lift off the moustache and chalk on the cheeks with a cotton ball.
  5. I apply chalk to the nose and white dots to the eyes.
  6. Glue all the pieces in place. I start at the bottom with the beard, then moustache, nose and eyes. I put glue down the center of the moustache only so the ends are "floating", giving it a bit of dimension. I leave the white hat band last so it can be scooted up further onto the red piece if necessary. Sometimes I use up more space placing the facial features and if I had the hat brim already glued on, it would be too crammed to get everything in place and looking okay.
  7. Add a pop dot under his nose to give it more dimension if you'd like !
I've seen other versions of this card over the years, some have added eyebrows or embellishments to his cap to make him even more cute ! 

I have also made a digital version of this card to quickly print out. I used My Digital Studio from Stampin' Up!

Thanks for looking =) 



2 comments:

  1. Super cute. I've seen another version, but it was not a 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 card. Could not use for Operation Write Home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this Santa!! Your tutorial is great too! Might have to try to make a few of these!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)