Monday, January 20, 2014

Chain Of Hearts Card



lovepopout1

lovepopout2

lovepopout13

This card was a little bit of work figuring out how to make. Once I got it to work properly, it was pretty easy to make the finished card and I’ll share how I did it.

All supplies from Stampin’ Up! :
Whisper White card stock
Basic Black card stock
Real Red designer papers, four different patterns
Textured Real Red Coredinations card stock
Script embossing folder
Movers and Shapers heart die – for heart chain
Coordinating heart paper punch – to punch out the designer paper hearts for the centers of the heart chain
Alphabet die set – L O V E
Expresssions die – cut the M and Y off of “Merry”
Red organdy ribbon- attach ribbon ends between the heart chain and card base.
Sandpaper – to lightly sand the embossing on the red embossed card stock to allow the colored core to show through
Copy paper (or card stock) – for the chain of hearts
Shimmery, glittery paper would be really pretty to use, but I did not use anything that may cause problems for our troops since I intend on mailing this in with other cards I am making for Operation Write Home (no glitter allowed!)


I chose to use copy weight paper for the folding chain of hearts since the card has so many layers already. I didn’t want it to be too thick. The downside of using lighter weight paper over thick card stock is it will probably not hold up as well to opening over and over. I put a thin strip of tape on the back side of the seams to help strengthen it.

My card is 4.25 inches square and uses the heart shape from the Movers and Shapers die set Stampin’ Up! used to sell. The folded pieces of paper to fit my die and card are 1  15/16” wide. I cut a 2” wide by 8” long strip of copy weight paper, folded it in half then folded back in at  1  15/16” , creating four layers to be cut at once with the die. This size created four hearts so I could place the letters L O V E on them inside the card.


foldsdie


foldsondie


After die cutting the chain, I paper punched four hearts from decorative paper (the full heart punch from Stampin' Up! is the perfect size to fit inside the Movers and Shapers heart die, also from Stampin' Up!) and glued them to the chain. I then glued on the die cut letters.


Glue the ends of the ribbons between the card base and ends of the heart paper chain inside the card.

Decorate the front as you wish. I used card stock run through an embossing folder and die cuts.

I added extra paper to this card so the Hero had room to write home to his loved one on.

This is a fun idea to use for many different die shapes.
Who wouldn’t love to receive a card with the surprise of a pop out paper chain inside ?

Thanks for looking =)

Inspired by a card in the book Simply Beautiful Greeting Cards by Heidi Boyd, North Light Books.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cool design and what a fun surprise when the card is opened! Finally getting around to visiting again!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)