Thursday, February 20, 2014

Love You S'More Card

This weeks Midweek Throwdown Challenge at Operation Write Home :
Let Your Light Shine !   Go take a look at all the inspiring creations, there are InLinkz at the bottom of the post that have thumbnails of each card.




I had all sorts of ideas, but in the end I decided to make this card. It sort of works for the recent Punny Challenge, too (scroll down to see sentiment I stamped inside card) !

The light on my card:
starlight
light of the campfire
the childrens faces lit up with big grins





I Love You 
S'More Each Day ! 


 Campout stamp images and small scattered stars
background stamp are from Stampin' Up!
Snap Stamps for sentiments
Basic Black, Whisper White, Glossy White card stocks
Markers and inks, all from Stampin' Up!
sponge, masks, eyelet





Here is how I made the stamped /sponged image:



I started with a piece of white glossy card stock.
I stamped the images with permanent black ink.
This was a bit tricky since the girl and boy
are on a single stamp and are really close to one another, 
the campfire on a different stamp
I stamped the fire first then very carefully inked 
just the girl, stamping her off to one side.
I cleaned the stamp really well,
carefully inked the boy image
then stamped him off to the other side.
He is a bit closer to the fire, not intentionally.
I almost scrapped this piece and started again
because I didn't like him that close then thought
"You know, if it were real life a little boy
probably would be closer to a fire...."
though not THAT close !

I colored them in with markers from Stampin' Up!
and used a blender pen on the fire.

White crayon on the marshmallow and socks
to help resist ink when I was sponging. 








These are the masks I made to cover the colored in images
while sponging on ink.
Removable sticky notes are the best paper for this.










I tore a piece of scrap paper then laid it over my masked images.
I then sponged on a couple colors of brown ink to create the ground.














I removed the torn paper mask from the ground 
and carefully sponged on yellow and dark gray inks
to simulate a bonfire in the evening.
I really would have liked a black ink,
but I don't have a good, true BLACK ink.
The black ink I have always comes out dark purple looking. 
This was a dark gray ink, but it sponged on much lighter than I 
expected it to. Oh well...................












Closeup of the cute campers
making s'mores image .
These stamps are from an old set by Stampin' Up!,
Campout.
It is the first time I ever used it, gasp !!!!!!!














One of the two Snap Stamps sets I bought 
a long, long time ago.
Whenever I pull them out to use them,
I wonder why I didn't try to find more styles and sizes of them.
They are individual letters that you snap together
to form words to your liking, fun ! 

This is what I stamped on the inside of the card 
and made the banner sentiment with on the outside.
Goofy, I know.
I used a black fine point ink pen to add an
apostrophe between the S and M
after I stamped it on the inside of the card.







This was going to be a firefly embellishment on the card.
In the end I decided he was a bit too big -
and a bit too much -
for this particular card.
I have a stamp set with a jar in it,
I'll probably use it to put him in it
and add a "You Light Up My Life" sentiment. 

It was made with half of a Word Window Punch ,
 a trimmed off heart punch and small circle punch, from Stampin' Up!
The gold glitter is a glitter glue and it will be adhered behind
acetate when I use it on a card so it will be safe to send
to Operation Write Home (no glitter on cards !). 




Thanks for looking =) 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of work went into this card. Thanks for the tutorial (always learn little tips here and there - so helpful). Love your use of the campfire as your light source. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is adorable!! Love the Love You S'more stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thanks for giving details on what you did!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)