Sunday, March 23, 2014

OWH Sketch Challenge 217




I created an Any Hero Card for
this week.
I'm ever so slowly getting cards made
 to send in for our heroes to write home on.
Since I make each of my own cards,
most all of which no two are alike,
it does take me a while to fill a large Priority mail box.
If you would like more information about this 
terrific organization that helps our heroes
keep in touch with home
as well as sends notes of thanks for their service, 
take a moment to read  more at 






(edited to add completed card photo, 
however I did not use the faux brads
due to a "manufacturing problem", ha ha ......)



I have some little stars to add to the corner
of the speckled white panel still.
They weren't quite dry yet and I was impatient,
wanting to get this post done ;)
"Weren't dry yet ?" you ask ?
Yes, I created faux brads by paper punching
small stars from card stock
then coated them with Crystal Effects
(clear dimensional "glue")
to create a faux brad. I do that often.
They are a bit less bulky for mailing
and I can make different colors, shapes
to coordinate with different projects. 

Real stitching across the top of the ribbon;
two layers of dry embossed images.

3D star is created by cutting out one of the embossed
star designs, lightly pinching in each point
then attaching with a generous dollop of hot glue




Stamp image is from A Muse Studio, Hero Mail

Kraft, Red, Navy, speckled card stocks

Navy marker

Cuttlebug stars embossing folder

Stripes embossing folder, Stampin' Up!






I used a marker to ink up
each word separately on the long, single line sentiment
so I could stamp it into three separate lines.
I still prefer red rubber, wood mounted rubber stamps,
but clear stamps sure do come in handy for this technique !
Make sure the stamp is totally clean
before stamping the next section or 
you can have "ghost" images
of the previously inked portions show up. 
That happens to me when I use
black ink on red rubber for some reason.
Even when I use stamp cleaner it still seems
to leave light images behind from other portions 
of the stamp at times. Try it on scrap paper first !















I've had this 2" wide piece of  navy blue "ribbon"
saved since two Christmases ago ! 
It was wrapped around a fleece blanket originally.
I knew that one day it would come in handy for
some crafty project.
I cut one of the Velcro ends off then 
trimmed the points on it to make the banner.







Thanks for looking =) 

7 comments:

  1. Heather, Great patriotic card! And, you're absolutely right... we had very similar ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that embossing folder- and wow- real stitching- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! What a great idea to make your own faux brads! I often need just a little something to finish up a card and none of my brads will work or they are to bulky for OWH. Thank you for sharing that great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice card. Awesome with lots of visual pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very stunning, bold card! Love the colors and embossing! You can't see how beautiful it is from the thumbnail on the link, but it was quite a surprise when I saw it up close!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful patriotic card! I love the dimensional star on your blue banner, and had to laugh at the manufacturing problem!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)