Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day - Patriotic Teddy Bears Card

                                               Some of the colors seem off in these photos


As much as I liked this card that I originally created for the 
I decided to make a different one for the hop.

This card is being shared today,
Memorial Day.
The image kind of reminds me of our local parade,
"The oldest consecutive running parade in the entire nation. 
The first one was held in 1868, just three years after the end of the Civil War."

The stamp image is an old one from Stampin' Up!, Bear Necessities.
It was stamped with black Stazon ink on water color paper then colored in
with various classic inks and an aquapainter from Stampin' Up!
Kraft, Chocolate Chip, Vintage Violet (?) and Rose Red (?) card stocks
I also lightly sponged Soft Suede ink around the edges of the card. 
Stripes and Square Lattice embossing folders, Stampin' Up!
Assorted star punches
I used sketch #36 at Operation Write Home.



Thanks for looking. 
If you have a moment,
take the time to read this moving poem
as we remember our heroes this Memorial Day.




FREEDOM IS NOT FREE



I watched the flag pass by one day.

It fluttered in the breeze

A young Marine saluted it, and then

He stood at ease.



I looked at him in uniform

So young, so tall, so proud

With hair cut square and eyes alert

He'd stand out in any crowd.



I thought, how many men like him

Had fallen through the years?

How many died on foreign soil?

How many mothers' tears?



How many Pilots' planes shot down?

How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?

No, Freedom is not free.



I heard the sound of taps one night,

When everything was still.

I listened to the bugler play

And felt a sudden chill.



I wondered just how many times

That taps had meant "Amen"

When a flag had draped a coffin

of a brother or a friend.



I thought of all the children,

Of the mothers and the wives,

Of fathers, sons and husbands

With interrupted lives.



I thought about a graveyard

at the bottom of the sea

Of unmarked graves in Arlington.

No, Freedom isn't free!!



Copyright 1981 by Kelly Strong












1 comment:

  1. Wonderful poem and another beautiful Americana card!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)