Thursday, June 26, 2014

Embellished Photo Frame












I repurposed an old 18 x 24 wooden frame 
and gave it to my parents!

The old frame was painted with tan suede spray paint.

I cut a piece of burgundy mat board to fit the frame
and added my photos / embellishments directly to it with
super sticky double stick tape and hot glue. 

The photographs were wrapped with scrapbook page protectors
cut to fit and wrapped around the backs because I was
originally going to leave the frame open.
Because they were stuck so well
and I didn't want to risk damaging the photos
trying to remove the wraps which would 
require having them printed again,
I decided to use them as is.

The photos are matted on two pieces
of card stock.

I printed out our names using the Lavendaria font
onto cream Naturals card stock then
hand cut them into banners.

The larger flower is made with a die cut, card stock and inks
from Stampin' Up! 
The tiny flower brad was colored with a Sharpie marker.

The double layer small flower at top was made from two
small flowers gifted to me earlier this year, 
manufacturer unknown.

The bottom printed flower was found at our local
Big Lots store a few years ago. It came complete
with brads. I should have used two of them,
looking at the photo of the completed project that single
layer looks bare. 

The leaves were die cut from Always Artichoke card stock
using Spellbinders dies. I should have added some inking to them, too.



                                                                F A M I L Y pennants:
Chalk Talk dies, Stampin' Up!
Alphabet die, Stampin' Up!
Triple layer flower punch, Stampin' Up!
Silver circle brads (I painted them) , Stampin' Up!
twine, unknown
dimensionals
various card stocks and paper




Because of the embellishments on this piece, I needed to create spacers before adding the glass (I had it custom cut at a local glass shop). The frame had just enough depth to allow me to do this  (sorry, I did not take any photos of that !). I really wanted to use clear acrylic type spacers like I did when I worked at a frame shop many years ago, but had to make do with cutting and gluing thin strips of chipboard. I thought it was odd when I asked at the one and only local frame shop about buying some from them and was told they don't have any. Perhaps they don't sell supplies to the general public so they get our business to pay them to mount items. Anyway, my makeshift spacers worked well enough as did my finishing job = duct tape! Yes, because I made this a sort of shadow box frame but without enough depth to add points/staples/nails to hold the mat board in place (not even enough depth to add the extra backing piece), I cut long 1" wide strips of duct tape and covered the gap between the edge of the mat and frame, holding it in place.

I added two screw eyes and picture wire to mount it and two pieces of foam tape on each lower corner
to protect walls.


Thank for looking =)

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful! I love the banner and your flowers look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)