Sunday, October 5, 2014

AnythingButACard Autumn Magic/Spring Wonder



Time for a new challenge at AnythingButACard
I'm tickled to say that I am one of the newest members
of the design team and this is one of my first submissions.
The theme this month, Autumn Magic / Spring Wonder.
My piece right now is celebrating Autumn,
but it could easily be changed throughout the seasons.

Be sure to take a moment to visit AnythingButACard to see
the first set of amazing and varied team creations this week.
There will be more posted each of the next two Sundays.
Lots of inspiration for you to make a project (it can be anything
crafty, but not a card !) and share
with us in the InLinkz at the bottom of the challenge post







This is exactly how it looked 
as a table decoration at a wedding reception in mid September.



My daughter brought it home thinking I could do something with it.
I wasted no time in ripping it apart,
knowing I'll find uses for the pieces at some point.
The wood was freshly cut, still wet and oozing sap so it had to be 
disassembled then set outside to dry.


I found out a week after receiving this that I would be a member of the 
design team at Anything But A Card ! Woohoo!!!!
It became the perfect canvas for my first design team project,
although I was kicking around several other ideas.









How to's:


You want to tear apart the
"silk" flower then reassemble it so that
the smaller petals will be on the top of 
the fairy's skirt when you put it on her.
Also, you may want to flip the petals upside down.
I did this since they looked better that way. 
Save the plastic center pieces for another project if 
you wish, you will not need to reuse them for the fairy skirt.













Flower fairy supplies:
~"silk" flower
(I used the one that was on the decoration to begin with)
~two pipe cleaners
(I painted mine flesh colored, they were white to begin with)
~wood bead with hole drilled in bottom
~acrylic craft paints
~something for hair
(I used a type of floral supply)
~something for the top of the dress and something to tie it
(dyed corn shuck from my stash and raffia were used on my fairy)

Paint the wood bead and add facial features.
Fold one chenille stem/pipe cleaner in half.
Thread the folded end through the fairy's flower skirt.
Wrap the other chenille stem/pipe cleaner around the first in the area
you would like the arms to be.
Attach the item you are using for the dress bodice.
Shorten each stem as needed to make the length of arms and legs
you wish. Bend the ends over to help hide the sharp pointy ends.
Add a dab of glue then shove the fold of the legs chenille stem/pipe cleaner
 into the hole of the wood bead.


I had planned on using skeleton leaves as wings for the fairy,
but they were too fragile.  I have some tulle, somewhere.....
or perhaps this little fairy has no wings and is looking up
 wishing she had wings like the beautiful butterfly has ?























Supplies used to make the card stock leaves


The saying was designed using My Digital Studio
then printed out on my home printer.
I hand trimmed the white part ,
used a coordinating die from Stampin' Up!
to cut the Kraft background piece. 

The leaves were assembled using a low temp glue gun.



























Supplies used to create the butterfly.
I really should have used black embossing powder
on the butterfly to make it pop more.
The black Stazon ink looks dull.
It was stamped and colored on a piece of 
drafting weight vellum paper. 
It is attached with a thin strip of clear acetate
and heavy duty double stick tape. 























Before assembling with a low temp glue gun.








Done ! 
This could easily be swapped out
to make a spring/summer display if the 
embellishment on the band is attached with velcro dots
or you make the band easily removable.
The fairy is just sitting on the stump , not glued in place,
so she could be changed out, too.
The butterfly is attached with a thin piece of acetate and
double stick tape that could be removed. 



Thanks for looking =)
Be sure to see the rest of the AnythingButACard






6 comments:

  1. Hi Heather... I saw your piece on our DT blog and commented on it but wasn't aware that you made this little precious fairy by hand... What a wonderful job. I love the tutorial you posted and the leaves are beautiful the way you used glue gun art !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I love it! You made it go from DRAB to FAB!
    I can't believe the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just awesome, I love it and am so pleased to see the steps to make it, thanks for sharing you have inspired me to try something similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beauty Heather! Wonderful detailing and love the fact that it can change looks. Thanks for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful piece! The steps and materials that you used to create it is so helpful. The idea to switch the decor on the centerpiece is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... I thought I commented on this one already... Maybe on the blog? I do love the adorable fairy and her wonderful little perch in the forest! What a great idea to be able to change it with the seasons too!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)