Monday, October 20, 2014

Beetles Invasion ! Asian Beetles That Is

Somehow these little bugs know when it is the warmest day 
of the week right before a cold snap,
taking flight from the woods and field to our house
in search of a place to overwinter.
It's crazy to see so many in flight at once -
and that you can hear them as they bounce off of the siding
 in search of the perfect place to land. 
It sounds almost like rain drops. 

How to tell the difference between Asian Beetles and Ladybugs
(we still call them ladybugs, it's easier to say !)



It's difficult to see in the photo all of them
that are on this one window, but there are lots !
Multiply that amount by oh, I don't know,
a million, and you'll be close to the number of them
trying to get inside the house and barn!





Don't dare go outside when they are swarming
because they get in your clothes, hair, etc and
they can "bite" ! They also stink if you squish them.
The good news is, we only have to deal with the
swarming of zillions of them for a few days.






This is inside the window above my craft table in the basement.
I circled several of them that were scurrying about it
at the time I took the photo.


This is my craft table directly under the above window.

Yes, they do get in the house but the majority of them are in
the attic. Lots make it into the basement, too,
while some do make it in to the main living areas.
Most die and those that live I will catch and throw
back outside. Waste of time though
since the little bugs will just try to come right back in.
We live in a 100+ year old house that has many small gaps
and old windows, easy places for them to enter.

Those that get away just crawl into the walls and windowsills,
up into the attic. Sometimes I'll find them hidden elsewhere
(especially amongst my crafty things in the basement).

Once spring arrives, those that live will make their way back out.
Most die. I joke that our house is insulated with ladybugs !


1 comment:

  1. You're not alone - we have our share too! And my house isn't as old so who knows where they get in...

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)