Sunday, December 7, 2014

Angel Wreath - Celestial Challenge at Anything But A Card





This months challenge prompt at 
"Celestial".

Just what I needed to finally put paint to plaster
and complete one of the many crafty items I
have had in stock for far too long!
One of them happened to be a precast plaster
wall hanging of an  
Angel with stars, perfect 
for the challenge - and the season.

The precast plaster item, various paints and varnish,
snow texture medium, 
an old wreath and red velvet ribbon
 I've kept to reuse "someday" -
they all came together pretty well :)












Before:


Twenty plus years ago I used to enjoy painting precast plaster
items such as ornaments for the Christmas Tree.
I made lots of small items to donate to the
elementary school holiday bazaar that I organized 
and crafted year round for way back when. 
After my children moved up to Junior High,
I no longer ran the bazaar or was needed for it :(

 I've since discovered rubber stamping and card making
which have taken over for my days
of making general, country crafty / home decor type items !
 I still have a large stash of  "to do" craft projects in stock, though.







The photos below show some of the detail on the
plaster item after I painted it with acrylic craft paints:





Toothpicks are great for adding tiny dots of paint.










I thought my project for the challenge was done: 
a gift set of the painted plaster item,
handmade card and gift bag complete with
bubble wrap and tissue paper.



I decided the plaster hanging was a bit too "blah",
so I dug out an old horribly misshapen wreath
(found at a tag sale at a local church years ago),
snow texture medium and a piece of red "velvet" ribbon
I've had saved in my stash (from a package long ago).



After reshaping the wreath the best I could 
( I did choose to keep it a bit oval shaped)
and fluffing out the little branches,
I used my fingers to rub on the snow texture medium.

Once it was dry, I attached the angel plaster hanging.

I then wrapped some wire around it at the top to create
a hanger.

The red ribbon was cut and made into a bow,
then attached with hot glue. 

I briefly thought about hot gluing in some old 
 ball ornaments and make some glittery gold stars
to add as well, but I decided it would be too
"busy" with all that on there. 
I kept it plain and simple !


Thanks for looking =)

Be sure to visit 
each Sunday to see what the rest of the design team
has created as well as what followers have created and shared.
 Lots of inspiring, varied projects shared !
If you have the time this month, 
make anything but a card with a Celestial theme 
and share it with us !


5 comments:

  1. Heather, that is a beautiful door decor, loved the way you painted your plaster! hugs, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I didn't even notice the wreath was oval until you mentioned it - I, too, have an overflowing stash, but nothing as good as what you pulled together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you incorporated all these pieces together! Beautiful wreath for sure!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)